Mar 24, 2013, 10:25 PM EDT
If you played Little League baseball as a kid, the sight of Big League Chew wrappers lining the ground inside the dugout is an all too familiar scene. The wrappers, commonly graced with the visages of angry, muscly baseball players, will be getting a facelift. ESPN’s Darren Rovell has the details:
Shredded gum brand Big League Chew will debut national packaging that will feature an active athlete — Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp — instead of the cartoon characters that have existed on more than 500 million pouches since Big League Chew first hit shelves 33 years ago. In June, a picture of Kemp will adorn the front of the gum package.
The brand, through a partnership with PLB Sports, a maker of athlete-endorsed food products, also has signed Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels.
As Sean Manning notes for Esquire, it isn’t the first time Big League Chew has had real players adorn its packaging. Hall of Famers Juan Marichal, Billy Williams, and Brooks Robinson were part of the program for a promotion in the late 1990’s.
Oct 1, 2014, 7:19 PM EDT
Punto hit just .207 with two homers and a .589 OPS in 73 games.
Oct 1, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Jason Vargas, who spent last season in the Angels’ rotation before signing with the Royals as a free agent, will start Game 1 for Kansas City.
Oct 1, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
The Angels have announced their rotation for the ALDS against the Royals.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
Tony Cruz gets the nod as Yadier Molina’s backup.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT
Welp, there’s two reasons he’ll never accept an invitation to my house.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
ALDS manager drama!
Oct 1, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
The Tuesday wild card game got ratings 14% higher than last year’s Tuesday wild card game.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
Not a ton of surprises. Gaby Sanchez in at first over Ike Davis because of the lefty on the hill. Otherwise, play ball.
Oct 1, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Ron Gardenhire was fired Monday after 13 seasons, the last four of which have seen the Twins lose 90 or more games.
Oct 1, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Somehow, it all seemed to tie this strange 2014 season together in one fitting package, though the end result wasn’t what anyone in green and gold wanted.
Oct 1, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Thanks for sharing, Aubrey.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT
Adam Wainwright will start Game 1 against Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:36 PM EDT
The Royals, like just about every other team in baseball, have an analytics department. Apologies if that messes with your preconceptions.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
At least he got to pitch this season. That was fun.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
The Royals may not have won the AL Wild Card if not for the confounding decisions of manager Ned Yost.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
He hit just .229 with a .659 OPS in 67 games after June 1 and batted .193 in September.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
But there’s a tale of bribery involved in all of this too.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Starting pitchers Francisco Liriano and Gerrit Cole off the Wild Card game roster, which is fairly typical.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
Another night, another one-and-done game.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 36
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 41
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)