Mar 24, 2013, 1:51 PM EST
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reported last week that free agent Kyle Lohse was asking for a three-year, $45 million contract as recently as early March. And that asking price apparently hasn’t dipped much:
Club officials say Scott Boras continues to ask for $14 million-$15 million a year from those interested in FA pitcher Kyle Lohse.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) March 24, 2013
The main reason Lohse hasn’t found a home yet is because signing him requires the forfeiture of a top draft pick, but the asking price has surely played a significant role. With only one week to go until the first pitch of the regular season, Boras may have to get creative. The Rangers, Brewers, Angels and Rockies have all been linked to the 34-year-old Lohse this offseason, but there has been no serious movement toward a deal.
Lohse posted a 2.86 ERA and 1.09 WHIP in 211 innings (33 starts) last season for the Cardinals.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)