Mar 24, 2013, 1:51 PM EST
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reported last week that free agent Kyle Lohse was asking for a three-year, $45 million contract as recently as early March. And that asking price apparently hasn’t dipped much:
Club officials say Scott Boras continues to ask for $14 million-$15 million a year from those interested in FA pitcher Kyle Lohse.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) March 24, 2013
The main reason Lohse hasn’t found a home yet is because signing him requires the forfeiture of a top draft pick, but the asking price has surely played a significant role. With only one week to go until the first pitch of the regular season, Boras may have to get creative. The Rangers, Brewers, Angels and Rockies have all been linked to the 34-year-old Lohse this offseason, but there has been no serious movement toward a deal.
Lohse posted a 2.86 ERA and 1.09 WHIP in 211 innings (33 starts) last season for the Cardinals.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)