Mar 24, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reported last week that free agent Kyle Lohse was asking for a three-year, $45 million contract as recently as early March. And that asking price apparently hasn’t dipped much:
Club officials say Scott Boras continues to ask for $14 million-$15 million a year from those interested in FA pitcher Kyle Lohse.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) March 24, 2013
The main reason Lohse hasn’t found a home yet is because signing him requires the forfeiture of a top draft pick, but the asking price has surely played a significant role. With only one week to go until the first pitch of the regular season, Boras may have to get creative. The Rangers, Brewers, Angels and Rockies have all been linked to the 34-year-old Lohse this offseason, but there has been no serious movement toward a deal.
Lohse posted a 2.86 ERA and 1.09 WHIP in 211 innings (33 starts) last season for the Cardinals.
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 16
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 92
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)