Mariano Rivera diagnosed with migraine headaches

Mar 24, 2013, 11:14 AM EDT

rivera getty Getty Images

Mariano Rivera has been experiencing off-and-on headaches for the past two weeks, so the Yankees decided to get to the bottom of the matter. George A. King III of the New York Post has the update:

The headaches weren’t as strong, but they didn’t go away. So Friday the Yankees sent baseball’s all-time saves leader for tests to determine the cause of the headaches.

“When you have issues you want to make sure everything is OK,’’ Rivera said of the CAT-scan and blood test.

“They said it seems like migraine headaches.’’

Rivera will make his scheduled relief appearance Sunday in a Grapefruit League game at Steinbrenner Field in Tampa and should be able to treat the migraines with medication throughout the 2013 regular season. The Yankees, it seems, are not overly concerned.

“There are protocols and we ran through them,’’ general manager Brian Cashman said on Sunday. “Even if there is one-half of a percent [of a problem], you want to rule it out. We weren’t worried about it.’’

1. underageerotica - Mar 24, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Do I even have to say it at this point?

• drewsylvania - Mar 24, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I’m guessing the downthumbs are for the handle.

• underageerotica - Mar 24, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Ouch, I honestly didn’t even notice the username. I logged in using a bugmenot account. Oh well.

• underageerotica - Mar 26, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Fuck off

2. historiophiliac - Mar 24, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Dear Universe:

Please exempt Mo from all Doom Watch activities for the remainder of his stellar career.

Thank you.

• Jason @ IIATMS - Mar 24, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Amen

• bigharold - Mar 24, 2013 at 12:25 PM

We here on the bridge of the Death Star continue to scoff at your Doom Watch.

• cur68 - Mar 25, 2013 at 2:19 AM

We here at Doom Watch are having trouble figuring out what Doom Conditions are. Things are changing much to fast to keep up. We have:

Jeet’s with the ankle
        Mo with the head

and now…Vernon Wells? Really? Really. No idea what Doom Condition we’re at.

3. jessethegreat - Mar 24, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Needs to get on the phone with Percy Harvin immediately. Though the kid is a pain in the arse at times, he’s now been migraine free for 2 years + now.

4. aceshigh11 - Mar 24, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Migraines are awful. My condolences.

I haven’t had a truly serious, full-blown migraine in years (knock on wood)…no idea why, but I feel very fortunate.

5. indaburg - Mar 24, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Ugh, as a fellow migraineur, I feel his pain. Thank goodness it wasn’t a more serious cause for those headaches.

6. papacrick - Mar 24, 2013 at 11:56 AM

It’s because he’s old. It’s the Yankee disease. Young, healthy able bodies are not accepted in that neck of the woods

7. randygnyc - Mar 24, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Aces- how did you know you we’re suffering from migraines? Can you attribute anything in particular to their resolution?

• aceshigh11 - Mar 24, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I had several in high school…classic symptoms:

– Started with a visual distortion in one eye, like a really bright aura
      – Then the distortion went away and the actual headache kicked in…excruciating head pain
      – All I wanted to do is lay in the dark
      – Got nauseous too…in fact, once I threw up, the migraine went away almost immediately

This has only happened to me 4-5 times in my life, while I was a teenager and in my early 20s.

I’m 34 now and although I suffer from chronic tension/stress headaches, I haven’t had a full-on migraine in 11 years or so.

There are all sorts of triggers for people…certain foods, certain scents (perfumes), tension, lack of sleep…I never figured out what mine was. Maybe it was just an adolescent thing with me.

8. randygnyc - Mar 24, 2013 at 1:27 PM

My understanding was that a majority of migraines can be caused by hormonal changes and can be “cured” as the person survives that phase. I’ve had several headaches in my life that caused me to throw up and prevent my eyes from opening. Even breathing was painful. I’m in my mid 40’s and haven’t had a recurrence in many years. I never bothered to see a doctor, so I don’t have a formal diagnosis, but I assumed they were migraines. I’m guessing that’s the same for you.

9. 86kev86 - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I got shots in the back of my head for something similar to that, my case was probably more severe than this though and I spent some time in a….anyways an optical nerve block with lanacane & steroids worked out pretty well and the results are instant and the steroids last for about 3 months to reduce swelling, nothing was working though even morphine and other powerful medications. Best of luck;
    -Kev

looks like: http://www.painmanagementlosangeles.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Occipital-Nerve-Block.jpg

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3363)