Mar 24, 2013, 3:25 PM EST
Via C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer:
Reds third base coach Mark Berry told the team Sunday morning that he has been diagnosed with cancer, but expressed optimism that he will beat it.
“I have cancer,” Berry told reporters after the team meeting. “I know it sounds bad, the word cancer, but there are plenty of people in this clubhouse that have had it and I know people around the game who have beaten it. My sister had it and beat it. That part hasn’t bothered me.”
The cancer is “on his tonsil and two lymph nodes,” adds Rosecrans, but it was detected at an early stage and the prognosis is positive. Berry is going to remain in Reds camp through the end of spring training and will decide on the next course of action once he travels back with the team to Cincinnati.
If Berry, 50, undergoes radiation, he will not join the Reds on road trips this season.
Berry has been the Reds’ third base coach for 10 years. He’s been with the organization for 30.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 7
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (92)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (81)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)