Mar 24, 2013, 5:03 PM EST
As first reported by CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the Rockies have signed right-hander Jon Garland to a one-year contract. It has a $500,000 base and more than $2 million worth of performance-based bonuses.
Garland was released by the Mariners on Saturday despite posting a good-looking 2.25 ERA in 12 Cactus League innings. He is likely to open the 2013 regular season in the Colorado starting rotation.
Garland, 33, registered a disappointing 4.33 ERA, 1.39 WHIP and 28/20 K/BB ratio across 54 innings with the Dodgers in 2011 and then sat out the entire 2012 season after undergoing rotator cuff surgery. He owns a 4.32 career ERA and a 1.38 career WHIP.
To clear roster space, the Rockies returned Rule 5 Draft pick Danny Rosenbaum to the Nationals. The 25-year-old left-hander allowed four earned runs over eight innings this spring in the Cactus League.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)