Mar 24, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Scott Baker‘s ongoing recovery from Tommy John elbow surgery just got more complicated.
According to beat writer Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune, Baker was diagnosed Sunday by Cubs doctors with a muscle strain in his right elbow — the same elbow that was surgically-repaired last April.
Baker entered spring training hoping to crack the Cubs’ Opening Day rotation, but he began developing renewed elbow soreness pretty early on and will now be shut down for the next four weeks. If he’s lucky, he’ll be ready to go at some point in late July.
Baker signed a one-year, $5.5 million free agent contract with the Cubs this winter, which looked like a bargain at the time but is now trending in the direction of a bust. The 31-year-old right-hander owns a decent 4.15 career ERA and 1.26 career WHIP in 958 career major league innings.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 3
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)