Mar 24, 2013, 11:17 PM EDT
A Lebanese immigrant, who placed a backpack with what he thought was a bomb near Wrigley Field in Chicago back in 2010, wrote a letter to U.S. District Judge Robert Gettleman in which he detailed his plight and his remorse for his actions. Via the Associated Press:
In the letter — dated Oct. 12, 2012, but released publicly this week — Hassoun tells Gettleman, “I am so ashamed of my actions and of this horrific crime that I’ve committed.”
He describes feeling despondent and confused with his new life as a bakery worker, frustrated by broken dreams of becoming rich after he and his parents moved to the U.S. from Lebanon in 2008.
“By two to three months before my crime, I was drinking all day, every day,” he wrote. “I would open a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black in the morning and finish it by evening, while also drinking vodka and beer.”
He smoked marijuana regularly and sometimes used cocaine and ecstasy, he wrote.
Thankfully, no one ended up getting hurt and Hassoun has realized the error of his ways, choosing to seek positive outlets while in prison.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Every time there’s a bad call, Don Denkinger’s name gets mentioned. Now that the Royals are in the World Series, it’ll be mentioned more.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
His overall numbers, while not as ridiculously amazing as 2013, included a 2.52 ERA and 80/8 K/BB ratio in 64 innings.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Oakland is looking to replace Chili Davis.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
This former Royals is a big part of why the current Royals are where they are.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
The second baseman, that is, not the Marlins pitcher.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT
College and Major Leagues, that is.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT
Hint: he doesn’t think it’s Buster Posey.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
You’d think such knowledge would be pretty valuable to have. Maybe they should license it to other sports teams.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
History’s Greatest Monster strikes again
Oct 20, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT
His new employer is, apparently, quite generous with allowing vacation time.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:47 AM EDT
Frank White is possibly the Royals most popular player in franchise history. But he and the team have not been on speaking terms for several years. And not even an A.L. Pennant has changed that.
Oct 20, 2014, 7:07 AM EDT
Four full days off before the World Series has all of us hurting for content, frankly.
Oct 19, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Indians second baseman Jason Kipnis had a poor showing in 2014 and the club is changing up his conditioning program in attempt to help him regain some speed.
Oct 19, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Replay review hasn’t had as much of an effect on post-season outcomes as some had previously thought.
Oct 19, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
A.J. Pierzynski wants to play baseball again in 2015, it just won’t be with the Cardinals.
Oct 19, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s song “Royals” until the World Series is over.
Oct 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
The Athletics lost hitting coach Chili Davis to the Red Sox on Sunday. They are now showing interest in Dave Hansen to fill the position.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
It appears the Red Sox have a new hitting coach in former major leaguer Chili Davis.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
Tim Lincecum woke up with a stiff neck and cut his workout short on Saturday, but is still expected to be ready when the World Series starts on Tuesday.
Oct 19, 2014, 3:03 PM EDT
From Baseball America’s transaction page comes word that the Braves have signed utilityman Pedro Ciriaco to a minor league contract.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 1
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 36
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 118
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (118)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)