Mar 25, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Not so long ago Jemile Weeks looked like the A’s long-term answer at second base, but they briefly sent him to Triple-A after he struggled in the first half last season and now he’ll begin this year back in the minors.
He hit .370 this spring, but the offseason trade for Jed Lowrie crowded the A’s infield and Weeks has missed time with a shoulder injury.
Weeks was a first-round pick in 2008 and hit .303 with 22 steals in 97 games as a rookie in 2011, but batted just .221 in 118 games last season. And now the A’s have decided to give Scott Sizemore an opportunity at second base ahead of him.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 153
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (154)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)