Mar 25, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Not so long ago Jemile Weeks looked like the A’s long-term answer at second base, but they briefly sent him to Triple-A after he struggled in the first half last season and now he’ll begin this year back in the minors.
He hit .370 this spring, but the offseason trade for Jed Lowrie crowded the A’s infield and Weeks has missed time with a shoulder injury.
Weeks was a first-round pick in 2008 and hit .303 with 22 steals in 97 games as a rookie in 2011, but batted just .221 in 118 games last season. And now the A’s have decided to give Scott Sizemore an opportunity at second base ahead of him.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)