Mar 25, 2013, 1:20 PM EST
Not so long ago Jemile Weeks looked like the A’s long-term answer at second base, but they briefly sent him to Triple-A after he struggled in the first half last season and now he’ll begin this year back in the minors.
He hit .370 this spring, but the offseason trade for Jed Lowrie crowded the A’s infield and Weeks has missed time with a shoulder injury.
Weeks was a first-round pick in 2008 and hit .303 with 22 steals in 97 games as a rookie in 2011, but batted just .221 in 118 games last season. And now the A’s have decided to give Scott Sizemore an opportunity at second base ahead of him.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27