Mar 25, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Not so long ago Jemile Weeks looked like the A’s long-term answer at second base, but they briefly sent him to Triple-A after he struggled in the first half last season and now he’ll begin this year back in the minors.
He hit .370 this spring, but the offseason trade for Jed Lowrie crowded the A’s infield and Weeks has missed time with a shoulder injury.
Weeks was a first-round pick in 2008 and hit .303 with 22 steals in 97 games as a rookie in 2011, but batted just .221 in 118 games last season. And now the A’s have decided to give Scott Sizemore an opportunity at second base ahead of him.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)