Mar 25, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
David Freese is slated to get an anti-inflammatory injection for his injured back today and time is running out for the Cardinals third baseman to be ready for the season, although general manager John Mozeliak told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that “Opening Day has not been ruled out.”
That quote from Mozeliak came after the Cardinals got the results of an MRI exam on Freese, but players typically remain on the sidelines for at least a couple days following injections and there are only four games remaining on the spring training schedule.
St. Louis’ depth will be tested early on because the Cardinals are suddenly very banged up.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17