Mar 25, 2013, 4:46 PM EST
Barajas eventually ended up taking a minor-league from the Diamondbacks anyway, but today they released him. That means Nieves will be Miguel Montero‘s backup and Barajas will have to go looking for another minor-league deal, as Arizona cut him loose to avoid paying a $100,000 bonus for agreeing to a Triple-A assignment.
Barajas can’t really throw any more and has always made a ton of outs, but he still has enough power to be a not-horrible veteran backup at age 37.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)