Mar 25, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
Last week the Indians informed Matt Capps that he wouldn’t be making the Opening Day roster and today they released the veteran reliever.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Indians may still try to re-sign Capps to a new minor-league deal, but in the meantime they released him to avoid paying a potential $100,000 bonus if he accepted an assignment to Triple-A.
Last year at this time Capps was the Twins’ closer and his deal with the Indians would have paid $1 million upfront and another $2 million in incentives if he’d made the team.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 14
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 45
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17