Mar 25, 2013, 7:33 PM EDT
Kyle Lohse passed his physical with the Brewers earlier this evening, making his new three-year contract official. The deal is reportedly worth $33 million and includes $1 million in performance bonuses.
As a result of the signing, the Brewers will surrender their first-round draft pick (No. 17 overall) in this year’s First-Year Player Draft and the accompanying draft pool money. Meanwhile, Lohse’s former team, the Cardinals, will receive the No. 28 overall pick in June’s draft as compensation.
According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, Lohse is scheduled to throw a bullpen session in Brewers’ camp tomorrow and could be ready to pitch in a game as soon as Wednesday or Thursday. The veteran right-hander has been keeping in shape by throwing simulated games, so despite the long wait to find a new home, it’s possible that he’ll be ready to join Milwaukee’s rotation when the season starts. Yovani Gallardo and Marco Estrada are clear locks for the rotation, so Chris Narveson, Mike Fiers or Wily Peralta will get the boot in order to make room for Lohse.
Lohse, 34, posted a 2.86 ERA and 143/48 K/BB ratio over 211 innings with St. Louis last season. He had a 3.39 ERA in 30 starts in 2011.
UPDATE: Adam McCalvy of MLB.com has passed along the contract details. Lohse will earn just $4 million this season while he’ll get $7 million in deferred payments from 2016-2018. He’ll make $11 million in 2014 and 2015.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (67)