Mar 25, 2013, 7:33 PM EDT
Kyle Lohse passed his physical with the Brewers earlier this evening, making his new three-year contract official. The deal is reportedly worth $33 million and includes $1 million in performance bonuses.
As a result of the signing, the Brewers will surrender their first-round draft pick (No. 17 overall) in this year’s First-Year Player Draft and the accompanying draft pool money. Meanwhile, Lohse’s former team, the Cardinals, will receive the No. 28 overall pick in June’s draft as compensation.
According to Adam McCalvy of MLB.com, Lohse is scheduled to throw a bullpen session in Brewers’ camp tomorrow and could be ready to pitch in a game as soon as Wednesday or Thursday. The veteran right-hander has been keeping in shape by throwing simulated games, so despite the long wait to find a new home, it’s possible that he’ll be ready to join Milwaukee’s rotation when the season starts. Yovani Gallardo and Marco Estrada are clear locks for the rotation, so Chris Narveson, Mike Fiers or Wily Peralta will get the boot in order to make room for Lohse.
Lohse, 34, posted a 2.86 ERA and 143/48 K/BB ratio over 211 innings with St. Louis last season. He had a 3.39 ERA in 30 starts in 2011.
UPDATE: Adam McCalvy of MLB.com has passed along the contract details. Lohse will earn just $4 million this season while he’ll get $7 million in deferred payments from 2016-2018. He’ll make $11 million in 2014 and 2015.
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 7
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 38
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)