Mar 25, 2013, 8:50 AM EDT
Recently we mentioned the Twitter adventures of Jay Horwitz, the Mets’ director of media relations. Today Brian Costa of the Wall Street Journal notes something for which he is far more infamous: butt dialing.
The 67 year-old Horwitz has a Blackberry which he refuses to lock for some reason and, as a result, he accidentally calls players, team officials, everyone, all the time and at all hours. He called Ike Davis during a game once. He called Livan Hernandez in a clubhouse 2,000 miles away. It’s a funny story, mostly for the players explaining their confusion at these calls they get from Horwitz.
The Mets have spent years trying to put a friendly, approachable and human face on the franchise. Here’s an idea: any instance in which a Wilpon is scheduled to make an appearance or an announcement of any kind, let Horwitz do it. He sounds like so much fun. It’d be like your friend’s awesome dad is running the Mets. And who wouldn’t like that?
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 4
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 18
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)