Mar 25, 2013, 8:50 AM EDT
Recently we mentioned the Twitter adventures of Jay Horwitz, the Mets’ director of media relations. Today Brian Costa of the Wall Street Journal notes something for which he is far more infamous: butt dialing.
The 67 year-old Horwitz has a Blackberry which he refuses to lock for some reason and, as a result, he accidentally calls players, team officials, everyone, all the time and at all hours. He called Ike Davis during a game once. He called Livan Hernandez in a clubhouse 2,000 miles away. It’s a funny story, mostly for the players explaining their confusion at these calls they get from Horwitz.
The Mets have spent years trying to put a friendly, approachable and human face on the franchise. Here’s an idea: any instance in which a Wilpon is scheduled to make an appearance or an announcement of any kind, let Horwitz do it. He sounds like so much fun. It’d be like your friend’s awesome dad is running the Mets. And who wouldn’t like that?
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)