Mar 25, 2013, 8:50 AM EST
Recently we mentioned the Twitter adventures of Jay Horwitz, the Mets’ director of media relations. Today Brian Costa of the Wall Street Journal notes something for which he is far more infamous: butt dialing.
The 67 year-old Horwitz has a Blackberry which he refuses to lock for some reason and, as a result, he accidentally calls players, team officials, everyone, all the time and at all hours. He called Ike Davis during a game once. He called Livan Hernandez in a clubhouse 2,000 miles away. It’s a funny story, mostly for the players explaining their confusion at these calls they get from Horwitz.
The Mets have spent years trying to put a friendly, approachable and human face on the franchise. Here’s an idea: any instance in which a Wilpon is scheduled to make an appearance or an announcement of any kind, let Horwitz do it. He sounds like so much fun. It’d be like your friend’s awesome dad is running the Mets. And who wouldn’t like that?
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 7
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (81)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)