Mar 25, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Connolly speculates that they’re looking for backup catching depth or a minor leaguer in return after bringing Ayala back for 2013 by exercising his $1 million option.
Ayala is behind closer Jim Johnson and setup men Darren O’Day and Pedro Strop on the right-handed reliever depth chart in Baltimore. He also had a 2.09 ERA in 56 innings for the Yankees in 2011 after being pretty terrible from 2008-2010.
- The Home Run Derby is a boring anachronism. Let’s replace it with something fun. 10
- Greetings from All-Star week in Minneapolis 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 8
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 51
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 39
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 5
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)