Mar 25, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Volquez wasn’t very good last year, walking a league-high 105 batters in 183 innings while posting a 4.14 ERA that was much worse than average considering the Padres’ pitcher-friendly ballpark. He was particularly bad in the second half, allowing 117 baserunners in 75 innings on the way to a 5.14 ERA.
Of course, the Padres don’t have many other options for the Game 1 assignment. Clayton Richard was slightly more effective than Volquez in 2012, but his 3.99 ERA was hardly impressive and he gave up 228 hits in 219 innings.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12