Mar 25, 2013, 2:48 PM EST
Volquez wasn’t very good last year, walking a league-high 105 batters in 183 innings while posting a 4.14 ERA that was much worse than average considering the Padres’ pitcher-friendly ballpark. He was particularly bad in the second half, allowing 117 baserunners in 75 innings on the way to a 5.14 ERA.
Of course, the Padres don’t have many other options for the Game 1 assignment. Clayton Richard was slightly more effective than Volquez in 2012, but his 3.99 ERA was hardly impressive and he gave up 228 hits in 219 innings.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 19
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)