Mar 25, 2013, 2:48 PM EST
Volquez wasn’t very good last year, walking a league-high 105 batters in 183 innings while posting a 4.14 ERA that was much worse than average considering the Padres’ pitcher-friendly ballpark. He was particularly bad in the second half, allowing 117 baserunners in 75 innings on the way to a 5.14 ERA.
Of course, the Padres don’t have many other options for the Game 1 assignment. Clayton Richard was slightly more effective than Volquez in 2012, but his 3.99 ERA was hardly impressive and he gave up 228 hits in 219 innings.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 28
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 58
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27