Mar 25, 2013, 6:42 PM EDT
UPDATE: Eddie A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun passes along word that Betemit was diagnosed with a Grade 2/3 PCL tear with “associated injuries.” No word yet on how long he’ll be sidelined, but it doesn’t sound promising.
4:01 PM: The spring has gone on way too long, people. From CSNBaltimore.com:
Orioles designated hitter Wilson Betemit suffered a sprained right knee ligament injury in the fifth inning of Monday’s game with the Boston Red Sox.
The play occurred when Betemit was running the bases. He took off from first as Manny Machado flied to left field. Betemit attempted to retreat to first and then collapsed near second base. Before he went down Betemit had hit a three-run homer and had a sac-fly RBI.
The O’s will reevaluate him tomorrow.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 10
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 8
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 32
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)