Mar 26, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT
Ricky Romero‘s big fall from grace carries on.
According to Shi Davidi of Canada’s Sportsnet, the left-hander has officially been optioned to High-A Dunedin. Romero allowed six hits, three walks and three earned runs over 4 1/3 innings on Tuesday afternoon in a Grapefruit League game against the Pirates. He wound up posting a 6.23 ERA, 2.08 WHIP and 8/10 K/BB ratio in 13 total spring frames.
Romero will try to right the ship down on the farm. J.A. Happ, meanwhile, will take his rotation spot.
Romero registered an exceptional (and somewhat ace-like) 2.92 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 178/80 K/BB ratio across 225 innings for the Jays in 2011. But the 28-year-old southpaw had a 5.77 ERA, 1.67 WHIP and 124/105 K/BB ratio in 181 innings last season.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 32
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 49
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 67
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)