Mar 26, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT
Ricky Romero‘s big fall from grace carries on.
According to Shi Davidi of Canada’s Sportsnet, the left-hander has officially been optioned to High-A Dunedin. Romero allowed six hits, three walks and three earned runs over 4 1/3 innings on Tuesday afternoon in a Grapefruit League game against the Pirates. He wound up posting a 6.23 ERA, 2.08 WHIP and 8/10 K/BB ratio in 13 total spring frames.
Romero will try to right the ship down on the farm. J.A. Happ, meanwhile, will take his rotation spot.
Romero registered an exceptional (and somewhat ace-like) 2.92 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 178/80 K/BB ratio across 225 innings for the Jays in 2011. But the 28-year-old southpaw had a 5.77 ERA, 1.67 WHIP and 124/105 K/BB ratio in 181 innings last season.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (115)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)