Mar 26, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that the current hope is for Freese to be activated on April 8 for the home opener, which would mean missing a total of just six games.
Freese, who suffered the injury three weeks ago while diving into the stands, got an anti-inflammatory injection after an MRI exam showed no structural damage. He played a career-high 144 games last season, hitting .293 with 20 homers and an .839 OPS while making his first All-Star appearance.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 8
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 49
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 108
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (84)