Mar 26, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
Puig nearly hit his way onto the Dodgers’ Opening Day roster this spring, batting .526 with a 1.351 OPS in 59 Cactus League plate appearances. But he has logged just 95 plate appearances in the minors and the Los Angeles decision-makers figured he would be better off getting regular action on the farm.
Gordon initially seemed like a candidate to replace the injured Hanley Ramirez at shortstop, but the Dodgers will go with Luis Cruz instead and ask Juan Uribe and Nick Punto to split time at third base. Gordon is one of the fastest players in baseball, but the 24-year-old owns a weak .260/.299/.315 career batting line in 143 major league games.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (115)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)