Mar 26, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
Puig nearly hit his way onto the Dodgers’ Opening Day roster this spring, batting .526 with a 1.351 OPS in 59 Cactus League plate appearances. But he has logged just 95 plate appearances in the minors and the Los Angeles decision-makers figured he would be better off getting regular action on the farm.
Gordon initially seemed like a candidate to replace the injured Hanley Ramirez at shortstop, but the Dodgers will go with Luis Cruz instead and ask Juan Uribe and Nick Punto to split time at third base. Gordon is one of the fastest players in baseball, but the 24-year-old owns a weak .260/.299/.315 career batting line in 143 major league games.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 20
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)