Mar 26, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
Puig nearly hit his way onto the Dodgers’ Opening Day roster this spring, batting .526 with a 1.351 OPS in 59 Cactus League plate appearances. But he has logged just 95 plate appearances in the minors and the Los Angeles decision-makers figured he would be better off getting regular action on the farm.
Gordon initially seemed like a candidate to replace the injured Hanley Ramirez at shortstop, but the Dodgers will go with Luis Cruz instead and ask Juan Uribe and Nick Punto to split time at third base. Gordon is one of the fastest players in baseball, but the 24-year-old owns a weak .260/.299/.315 career batting line in 143 major league games.
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 5
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 37
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)