Mar 26, 2013, 10:35 PM EDT
The San Diego infield has taken another punch.
According to beat writer Corey Brock of MLB.com, Logan Forsythe, who was expected to fill in at third base for the injured Chase Headley, will likely be placed on the 15-day disabled list before the beginning of the regular season due to a recent flareup of the plantar fasciitis in his right foot.
Forsythe has played through the plantar fasciitis before, but it’s causing him too much discomfort now. He has been prescribed rest. Jedd Gyorko could move from second base to the hot corner, or the Padres could decide to keep the talented young Gyorko at the position he’ll play for the majority of the 2013 season and use Gregorio Petit or Cody Ransom at third base until Headley returns.
Headley is expected to be recovered from the small fracture in his left thumb in early May.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)