Mar 26, 2013, 10:35 PM EDT
The San Diego infield has taken another punch.
According to beat writer Corey Brock of MLB.com, Logan Forsythe, who was expected to fill in at third base for the injured Chase Headley, will likely be placed on the 15-day disabled list before the beginning of the regular season due to a recent flareup of the plantar fasciitis in his right foot.
Forsythe has played through the plantar fasciitis before, but it’s causing him too much discomfort now. He has been prescribed rest. Jedd Gyorko could move from second base to the hot corner, or the Padres could decide to keep the talented young Gyorko at the position he’ll play for the majority of the 2013 season and use Gregorio Petit or Cody Ransom at third base until Headley returns.
Headley is expected to be recovered from the small fracture in his left thumb in early May.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 26
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 67
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (157)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)