Mar 26, 2013, 10:35 PM EST
The San Diego infield has taken another punch.
According to beat writer Corey Brock of MLB.com, Logan Forsythe, who was expected to fill in at third base for the injured Chase Headley, will likely be placed on the 15-day disabled list before the beginning of the regular season due to a recent flareup of the plantar fasciitis in his right foot.
Forsythe has played through the plantar fasciitis before, but it’s causing him too much discomfort now. He has been prescribed rest. Jedd Gyorko could move from second base to the hot corner, or the Padres could decide to keep the talented young Gyorko at the position he’ll play for the majority of the 2013 season and use Gregorio Petit or Cody Ransom at third base until Headley returns.
Headley is expected to be recovered from the small fracture in his left thumb in early May.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 87
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 35
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 363
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (365)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (98)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (82)