Mar 26, 2013, 10:35 PM EDT
The San Diego infield has taken another punch.
According to beat writer Corey Brock of MLB.com, Logan Forsythe, who was expected to fill in at third base for the injured Chase Headley, will likely be placed on the 15-day disabled list before the beginning of the regular season due to a recent flareup of the plantar fasciitis in his right foot.
Forsythe has played through the plantar fasciitis before, but it’s causing him too much discomfort now. He has been prescribed rest. Jedd Gyorko could move from second base to the hot corner, or the Padres could decide to keep the talented young Gyorko at the position he’ll play for the majority of the 2013 season and use Gregorio Petit or Cody Ransom at third base until Headley returns.
Headley is expected to be recovered from the small fracture in his left thumb in early May.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)