Mar 26, 2013, 10:35 PM EST
The San Diego infield has taken another punch.
According to beat writer Corey Brock of MLB.com, Logan Forsythe, who was expected to fill in at third base for the injured Chase Headley, will likely be placed on the 15-day disabled list before the beginning of the regular season due to a recent flareup of the plantar fasciitis in his right foot.
Forsythe has played through the plantar fasciitis before, but it’s causing him too much discomfort now. He has been prescribed rest. Jedd Gyorko could move from second base to the hot corner, or the Padres could decide to keep the talented young Gyorko at the position he’ll play for the majority of the 2013 season and use Gregorio Petit or Cody Ransom at third base until Headley returns.
Headley is expected to be recovered from the small fracture in his left thumb in early May.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (167)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)