Pablo Sandoval will lose weight … in a couple of years

Mar 26, 2013, 6:59 AM EDT

Pablo Sandoval AP

Jeff Passan has a feature up about Pablo Sandoval. Specifically how his weight, personality and outstanding ability to smack baseballs around interact. Sandoval knows that balance won’t last forever, so he knows that changes need to be made … eventually:

“I’ve got this year and next year to change all the things,” Sandoval said. “It’s going to take me a while, but I can do it. I know I can do it.” … At some point, the reasoning goes, his lack of conditioning will catch up. Sandoval thinks it’s at 30 years old, when his metabolism may go to hell and send him up toward three bills. And it’s why he’s giving himself two years.

A lot of people think that throughout their 20s. Then they realize how much harder it is to lose weight in their 30s. Added to this is the fact that in two years, presumably, Sandoval is going to be in the first year of a lucrative long-term deal, which could quite easily sap any additional incentive he has.

Sandoval makes it work now. But looking at the history of big guys in baseball suggests that it’s not gonna work forever. One would hope that someone could impress that upon him now.

1. 2077james - Mar 26, 2013 at 7:11 AM

“It’s going to take me a while, but I can do it. I know I can do it.”

Mate, you’re a professional athlete. It’s part of your job to stay in shape.

2. therealtrenches - Mar 26, 2013 at 8:01 AM

He says he’s got this year and next to change things. Wouldn’t that indicate his intention to drop weight sooner rather than “in a couple of years?”

3. historiophiliac - Mar 26, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Good grief. It’s not that hard to lose weight in your 30’s. I was in better shape in my 30’s than I was in my 20’s. A good part of that is taking your health more seriously and actually working at it.

• paperlions - Mar 26, 2013 at 9:27 AM

No, it isn’t that hard….especially if your job is….you know….staying in shape. For many people, it is just hard to make the time and have the energy after working a real job….if everyone’s job paid them to exercise the first hour they were there….it’s be really easy to stay in shape.

Nonetheless, metabolically, he’ll find it harder to stay in shape every year from here on out. While baseball production often falls off a cliff because tiny differences in reaction speed mean a lot….the general decline of physical abilities is far more gradual, and has already begun by the time you are 28. In short, if he can’t stay in shape in his mid-20s, he’s got about a snowball’s chance in hell of doing it in his 30s….because it will require a complete remake in how he lives his life.

• historiophiliac - Mar 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I think “snowball’s chance in hell” is too strong. The odds are certainly against it, but there are people who do change their ways. I agree that it’s not super likely, but it can happen — especially depending upon the causal factors involved.

• paperlions - Mar 26, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Yeah, that was a bit hyperbolic….but if a guy can’t even approach being in shape when he’s a 25-yr old professional athlete….the odds are really slim that he’ll make the necessary life-changing commitments. But you are correct, it could happen.

The Cardinals had 2 fat players last year: Lynn and Adams. Each lost > 25 lbs over this past off-season….the team gave them a regimen to follow for workouts and diet, and they followed them and came back in outstanding shape. It seems like either a player cares enough to do these things or he doesn’t.

• historiophiliac - Mar 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Well, sometimes people aren’t raised with the right knowledge or discipline. They can learn these things, but it is much harder. I look at my students sometimes and I think: Man, it’s going to be so much harder for you as you get older having muffin tops and guts already at 21. As I said though, I did better as I got a little older and my circumstances changed.

• paperlions - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Yeah, funny how things have changed. About a decade ago my mom dragged out a bunch of class pictures from when I was in grade school. The “fat kids” I remembered were skinnier than you average kid is now. I don’t know if it is mostly a change in diet (there is so much more junk food now than when I was a kid), activity, or both (probably both).

• historiophiliac - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Well, you probably had to get up and walk over to the TV to change the channel and couldn’t microwave fat sticks for an afternoon snack.

• paperlions - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:20 AM

True. If my dad/mom wanted anything, it was our job to do it (e.g. change channel, get beer, bring up food from pantry)….plus, as a kid, I spent as little time as possible inside or at home…we were always out doing shit.

• historiophiliac - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Ahh, fond memories of fetching my dad a Budweiser. That is, btw, how I learned the truth about Santa. We were leaving out milk and cookies and he suggested Santa might prefer a Bud. I was crushed.

• paperlions - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:41 AM

You were crushed because santa liked crappy beer?

• historiophiliac - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Well, that and it obviously meant my dad was fronting as Santa.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Sometimes it’s all how you look at a thing – maybe Santa was fronting as your dad. Santa and a Bud bottle have the same color scheme …

• historiophiliac - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:01 PM

My dad is no Santa. :( Anyway, we made it a little rough for him. We insisted we leave out carrots for the reindeer with the beer then. I’m sure he looooooved the carrot-beer combination. he he

4. indaburg - Mar 26, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Who knew bamboo was so fattening?

• paperlions - Mar 26, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Ever seen a skinny panda?

• indaburg - Mar 26, 2013 at 12:22 PM

It’s all muscle.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:26 PM

It’s the Kung-Fu, not the bamboo.

• indaburg - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Kung-fu is fattening? Dammit, I’ve been doing this exercise thing all wrong.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Maybe, maybe not – I just know it looked super slow motion and unchallenging when David Carradine did it. He couldn’t even beat Blind Master Po!

• indaburg - Mar 26, 2013 at 4:20 PM

He moved pretty good in Kill Bill though. Ah, Carradine. Rest in peace.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I admired Bill’s sandwich making skills.

5. Marty - Mar 26, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Still digesting that Verlander character.

6. Kevin Gillman - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Why isn’t there as much flack about Papi’s weight? He’s in his 30’s, and is up there in weight. Both Papi and Sandoval can hit, so right now, what is the difference?

• indaburg - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I’m guessing because Papi’s sole job is to hit the ball and then sit his big ole butt back down.

7. stex52 - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:16 PM

No, he won’t.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3235)