Mar 26, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: Well, that didn’t take very long. Erik Boland of New York Newsday reports that Overbay has agreed to a minor-league deal with the Yankees just hours after being dropped by the Red Sox.
Overbay is no longer a starting-caliber player at age 36 and has hit just .239 with 11 homers and a .683 OPS in 571 plate appearances as a part-timer during the past two seasons.
He could still have some value as a left-handed bench bat, but that role is a lot more prevalent in the National League.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 6
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 35
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 44
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 46
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)