Mar 26, 2013, 4:10 PM EST
UPDATE: Well, that didn’t take very long. Erik Boland of New York Newsday reports that Overbay has agreed to a minor-league deal with the Yankees just hours after being dropped by the Red Sox.
Overbay is no longer a starting-caliber player at age 36 and has hit just .239 with 11 homers and a .683 OPS in 571 plate appearances as a part-timer during the past two seasons.
He could still have some value as a left-handed bench bat, but that role is a lot more prevalent in the National League.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27