Mar 26, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: Well, that didn’t take very long. Erik Boland of New York Newsday reports that Overbay has agreed to a minor-league deal with the Yankees just hours after being dropped by the Red Sox.
Overbay is no longer a starting-caliber player at age 36 and has hit just .239 with 11 homers and a .683 OPS in 571 plate appearances as a part-timer during the past two seasons.
He could still have some value as a left-handed bench bat, but that role is a lot more prevalent in the National League.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)