Mar 26, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: Well, that didn’t take very long. Erik Boland of New York Newsday reports that Overbay has agreed to a minor-league deal with the Yankees just hours after being dropped by the Red Sox.
Overbay is no longer a starting-caliber player at age 36 and has hit just .239 with 11 homers and a .683 OPS in 571 plate appearances as a part-timer during the past two seasons.
He could still have some value as a left-handed bench bat, but that role is a lot more prevalent in the National League.
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 46
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)