Mar 26, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: Well, that didn’t take very long. Erik Boland of New York Newsday reports that Overbay has agreed to a minor-league deal with the Yankees just hours after being dropped by the Red Sox.
Overbay is no longer a starting-caliber player at age 36 and has hit just .239 with 11 homers and a .683 OPS in 571 plate appearances as a part-timer during the past two seasons.
He could still have some value as a left-handed bench bat, but that role is a lot more prevalent in the National League.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 0
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 43
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 86
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)