Mar 26, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
Kansas City has decided on Luis Mendoza as the fifth starter, which means Bruce Chen is headed to the bullpen after leading the Royals in starts, wins, and innings last season. Of course, Chen wasn’t actually much good with a 5.07 ERA.
Luke Hochevar was previously shifted to the bullpen by the Royals, so by moving Chen there as well Kansas City is now paying $9 million to a pair of non-setup/closer relievers who both had an ERA above 5.00 last year.
As for Mendoza, he has a 4.97 ERA in 41 career starts, including a 4.19 ERA in 25 starts for the Royals last season. He’ll follow James Shields, Ervin Santana, Jeremy Guthrie, and Wade Davis in the rotation.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 100
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (101)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)