Ryan Madson is throwing at “70-80 percent intensity”

Mar 26, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT

Ryan Madson AP AP

Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com has an update on Ryan Madson, noting that the Angels right-hander threw  30-pitch bullpen session yesterday “ramping up the intensity to an estimated 70-80 percent.”

It was Madson’s fourth throwing session since being shut down due to elbow soreness in early February and then again two weeks ago.

According to Gonzalez there’s no timetable for Madson to appear in a game, let alone join the Angels’ bullpen. At the very least he seems likely to miss all of April. And whenever he does return it seems highly unlikely that the Angels would stick to their previous plan of immediately making him their closer.

1. asimonetti88 - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Better than nothing I guess.

2. DelawarePhilliesFan - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:11 PM

For all the talk about did Scott Boras do right by Bourne and Lohse, there is no question that Ryan Madson was hosed by listening to Boras 2 years ago

• Detroit Michael - Mar 26, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Accepting a contract offer is a client decision. Madson is the client. He may or may not like Boras’ advice but responsibility is with Madson.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Mar 26, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Ummm, excuse me. I respectfully ask that you read the HBT posting By-Laws, specifically Article IV, Section 4 (b), Clause 85:

Scott Boras is always wrong.

In all seriousness, I hear you that the ultimate decision is on the player, starting with the decision to hire an agent. But it is the agent’s responsibility to read the market and make advice, and THEY are supposed to be the experts at it. His advice to Madson was insanely poor – and for that, he deserves a lot of criticism. Yes, Madson should have ignored the advice – which is why I noted the real probelm was listening to him – but that does not excuse Boras at all

• Detroit Michael - Mar 26, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Yeah, I don’t really disagree with your last post. Besides, it made me laugh!

Something about the phrasing in your first post — “Madson was hosed” — made it seem like you were exonerating Madson from taking responsibility for his own decision.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3492)