Mar 26, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
No news has spun out since it was reported that Nolan Ryan was considering leaving the Texas Rangers as a result of him, apparently anyway, being bypassed in the chain of command for Jon Daniels. But Kirk Bohls of the Austin Statesmen spoke to a source who makes it sound like Ryan’s time with Texas is almost over:
Almost no one is betting he stays. One person very close to Ryan said it was “70-30” that he leaves, stung by his ill treatment. He’s never been one to make rash, emotional decisions.
He shrugged those massive shoulders that, combined with Earl Campbell-like thighs, made him one of the most feared pitchers in the game and said he would return home Tuesday to help with the Rangers’ two exhibition games in San Antonio later this week. Beyond that?
“I haven’t commented much on that,” he said in his distinctive Texas drawl, “so I’m going to leave that alone.”
There’s a Rangers exhibition series in San Antonio before Opening Day, and Ryan is supposed to be a big part of that. One gets the distinct impression that he’s gonna play his part there and then walk away as the season gets underway.
Which, well, whatever. I know there is an emotional connection between Ryan and the Rangers and, more importantly, Ryan and the Rangers fans. But if we’ve learned anything over the past decade or so, modern front offices are no place for nostalgia. If the decision makers with the Rangers don’t see Ryan as essential — and if we’re not dealing with some crazy dysfunctional management team here, which we aren’t — it’s hard to say what purpose Ryan staying really would serve.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)