Source close to Nolan Ryan: “70/30 that he leaves”

Mar 26, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT

ryan-nolan-101030

No news has spun out since it was reported that Nolan Ryan was considering leaving the Texas Rangers as a result of him, apparently anyway, being bypassed in the chain of command for Jon Daniels. But Kirk Bohls of the Austin Statesmen spoke to a source who makes it sound like Ryan’s time with Texas is almost over:

Almost no one is betting he stays. One person very close to Ryan said it was “70-30” that he leaves, stung by his ill treatment. He’s never been one to make rash, emotional decisions.

He shrugged those massive shoulders that, combined with Earl Campbell-like thighs, made him one of the most feared pitchers in the game and said he would return home Tuesday to help with the Rangers’ two exhibition games in San Antonio later this week. Beyond that?

“I haven’t commented much on that,” he said in his distinctive Texas drawl, “so I’m going to leave that alone.”

There’s a Rangers exhibition series in San Antonio before Opening Day, and Ryan is supposed to be a big part of that.  One gets the distinct impression that he’s gonna play his part there and then walk away as the season gets underway.

Which, well, whatever. I know there is an emotional connection between Ryan and the Rangers and, more importantly, Ryan and the Rangers fans. But if we’ve learned anything over the past decade or so, modern front offices are no place for nostalgia. If the decision makers with the Rangers don’t see Ryan as essential — and if we’re not dealing with some crazy dysfunctional management team here, which we aren’t — it’s hard to say what purpose Ryan staying really would serve.

1. historiophiliac - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM

GOD BLESS AMERICA/LAND THAT I LOOOOOOOVE/STAND BESIDE HER/AND GUIDE HER/THROUGH THE NIGHT WITH A LIGHT FROM ABOOOOOOVE

FROM THE MOUNTAINS/TO THE PRAIRIES/TO THE OCEANS CHOKED WITH FOOOOOOOOAM/GOD BLESS AMERICAAAAAA/MY HOME SWEET HOOOOOOME

GOOOOOOD BLESS AMERICAAAAAAA/MY HOOOOME SAHWEEET HOOOOOOOOOOOME

• blacksables - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:16 PM

• historiophiliac - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:29 PM

You encourage me, Sir.

• chacochicken - Mar 26, 2013 at 3:17 PM

How else is it going to stay dead? Besides, we ‘Mericans love dead horse beatin’. Baseball needs dead horse beatin’. If you outlaw dead horse beatin’ only outlaws will beat dead horses.

• historiophiliac - Mar 26, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Exactly. That’s why we start by singing the national anthem but have to re-up our patriotism a mere 7 innings later. You could backslide in the meantime, what with the beer and all. You might get so drunk you root for Mexico or something. Think of the children. If you are not wary, foreigners might infiltrate. I don’t think I have to name any particular overgrown varmints to the north. You know what I mean…bitter little step-siblings.

2. yahmule - Mar 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Ryan did not have thighs like Earl Campbell. Nobody did.

• Old Gator - Mar 26, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I’m sure that would be very attractive to certain people, but frankly, where peripheral baseball people are concerned, I prefer thighs like Jane Fonda’s.

• kiwicricket - Mar 26, 2013 at 5:02 PM

My ex-girlfriend did

3. jeffa43 - Mar 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Welcome back to Houston my friend !

We have paves a new road, and join us as we start our drive to the top…. Be apart of our future success, we welcome you with open arms!

• yahmule - Mar 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Playing hard to get, eh?

• tommyshih - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:43 PM

“Apart” changes the meaning altogether…

• jeffa43 - Mar 26, 2013 at 4:42 PM

My bad … Typo… Nolan please be a part of our future success!

4. txrngr34 - Mar 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I second jeffa43’s comment. Would love to have him back in Houston. He’d make a much better PR guy than Crane has been so far. And of course, he’s loved by all Texans, but especially here in Houston. Maybe he can help the Stros get some young pitching talent. Bet Mark Appel would take a little less money to be drafted 1st overall this June, and come to a Ryan-led Astros organization.

• Old Gator - Mar 26, 2013 at 12:08 PM

And you get the ownership skybox decorated by his bona fide war criminal buddy!

• stex52 - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I would stay away from Ryan. His relationship with the franchise has been way too much love-hate. In fact, when I think about things like the Round Rock move, there were times I think he had in mind sabotaging the Astros. They can do fine without Ryan, and they should.

But it won’t be W down here in Houston, Gator. HW comes to the games here.

Remember, W used to be a part owner at the Rangers. He will stay there.

• historiophiliac - Mar 26, 2013 at 12:19 PM

But you have Clemens.

• yahmule - Mar 26, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Ah, that post made my morning.

• stex52 - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Houston has Biggio. Start from there. Don’t count on those image guys, anyway.

• paperlions - Mar 26, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Ryan is not being hired to run the Astros. They Astros have moved on from running their team like it is still the 80s.

No pitcher would take less money to sign with a team because Ryan worked for them or owned them.

• stex52 - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:13 PM

What you said. I don’t think Ryan has any interest in helping Houston out, either. There’s just a little sentimentalism going on here.

• paperlions - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Yeah, it would be good if he could stay active in the game, I think he definitely has something to contribute for the good….just not sure that “running a team” is that thing. Being a special adviser would seem to work really well, he probably doesn’t want to do the day-to-day, but having him around for advice would probably be valuable.

• txrngr34 - Mar 26, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I agree that no established pitcher would take less money. But when you’re talking about the intricacies of structuring a draft contract, I think Appel would at least come down from his above-slot figure that he was giving the Pirates, especially since it’s his hometown team that wants to draft him. Ryan’s presence would help, maybe influence Appel’s probability of signing for a “reasonable” slot bonus. Of course, that’s not to say that losing the leverage of being junior that can go back to school wouldn’t weigh in.

And I’m not totally sold on him running the day to day operations of a team. But I think he’d make a great personnel advisor, scouting director, or something along those lines.

• paperlions - Mar 26, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Sorry, but it is the height of naivete to think that Ryan’s presence would have any effect whatsoever on a players asking price….Ryan has almost zero contact with prospects….besides, of course there is zero chance that Appel will fall to a Ranger’s pick. No chance whatsoever. The Ranger’s entire draft budget isn’t as much as Appel will be looking at signing for.

• txrngr34 - Apr 10, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Yeah, we were talking about the remote possibility of Ryan working in the Astros front office, hence giving them (Astros) another crack at Appel. Ryan doesn’t currently have a need to be in contact with prospects…most of the Rangers top talent weren’t top draft choices, so we don’t know what his affect on a top draft prospect would be. Considering Appel’s a Houston boy, an Astros fan, a Nolan Ryan fan, and a hefty asking price…I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think Ryan (as an Astros rep) could help influence Appel’s willingness to negotiate and sign for a more appropriate slot bonus.

• stex52 - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:20 PM

BTW, coount me out on the Nolan love club.

• historiophiliac - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Really?

• stex52 - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:43 PM

What? Am I wearing my heart on my sleeve again?:-)

• jeffa43 - Mar 26, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Stex… You sound like a very bitter old man.

Nolan + anything = anything becoming a lot better.

• stex52 - Mar 26, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Probably had a little more experience of Nolan than you did, Jeffy.

• stex52 - Mar 26, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I wonder why the Rangers don’t think so?

5. beefytrout - Mar 26, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Nolan was the face of this franchise when the Rangers had absolutely nothing else going on. That’s no longer the case. I would hate to see him leave, but the front office is trying to build something here. I’d rather have a successful team than a famous figurehead.

• chumthumper - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Speaking of face, while this news isn’t anything Ryan would smile about, but does this man ever smile?

• tommyshih - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Don’t delve too deeply into things you may not want to know more of (Nolan Ryan laughing): http://www.sogacity.com/images/112by80.gif

6. Kevin Gillman - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Wasn’t Ryan a co-owner of the Rangers? I always had the thought of that. Or was he a president of the organization?

7. kelshannon19 - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I wish Nolan Ryan would buy the Astros away from Jim Crane, who doesn’t give a damn about the fans.

• stex52 - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:42 PM

It’s pretty easy to get the opinion of Crane. I just don’t think Ryan is the right next step.

• paperlions - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Nolan Ryan can’t afford to buy the parking lots. There is a giant chasm between being only wealthy and what you need to buy a MLB club.

• historiophiliac - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Yes, a significant variance in one’s T-shirt collection there.

• paperlions - Mar 26, 2013 at 3:43 PM

THPBTPBT!!!!!!

• historiophiliac - Mar 26, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Mind your tongue, now. Them’ll get you in trouble.

8. chacochicken - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Poor treatment of Michael Young and now Nolan Ryan…what are they going to do next? Forget the Alamo?

• zzalapski - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I’ll take “Things that have no detriment to the Rangers’ on-field performance” for $200, Alex.

• chacochicken - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:19 PM

The gutsy gritty veterany leadership of Michael Young is incalculable and Nolan Ryan is Jon Daniels muscle. The players will walk all over him if Ryan goes. In case you are wondering I’m being completely facetious as was my original comment.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3220)