Mar 26, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
The deal sending Vernon Wells from the Angels to the Yankees is now official and Wells is in the Yankees’ lineup for tonight’s game, batting sixth and playing left field.
Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Yankees will take on $13.9 million of the $42 million Wells is owed for the next two seasons, the bulk of which will be this year.
Obviously the Angels were plenty happy to shed Wells from the roster and save $13.9 million in the process, but they also got a pair of minor leaguers in outfielder Exircado Cayones and left-hander Kramer Sneed. Cayones was acquired from the Pirates in last year’s A.J. Burnett deal.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)