Well, that’s neat: old minor league ballpark to be converted into apartments

Mar 26, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT

Bush Stadium Indianapolis

Old Bush Stadium in Indianapolis housed minor league baseball until 1996. It was also the set for ballparks in the wonderful “Eight Men Out.” More recently it has been a grown over junkyard.  But there may be new life in those old bones: as an innovative apartment complex.

Bush Stadium’s stone art deco entrance and flanking brick walls have been incorporated into the new building, and the stadium’s steel canopy forms the roof. The existing structure has been shored up and windows added to the brick walls. To create space for a wood-frame structure housing 134 residences on three stories, the team removed the stadium’s staggered concrete seating platforms and support girders.

There are architectural renderings in the linked article, which look pretty cool. I don’t suppose you could do this with all old ballparks — many had little to no charm on the outside worth preserving even if they were once nice places to see ballgames, many others had bad 1980s makeovers — but this is kind of cool.

1. dexterismyhero - Mar 26, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Maris played there in the 50’s. I remember all the old photo’s they had. Most of them are now in Victory Field, which is an awesome park to watch games in.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Remember Razor Shines Dexter? As a kid…he was my favorite Indian.

• sirribshack - Mar 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Razor was actually my hitting instructor for a year or two when I was kid. I had a lot of coaches and instructors try to teach me hitting but no one like him. Super nice guy and knew his stuff.

2. shaggylocks - Mar 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I call dibs on the press box.

3. cur68 - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM

If only the Astrodome didn’t look like a blanched wart, Houston could do this, too.

4. shanabartels - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM

This is an interesting idea, but I feel like remaking the infield out of concrete is just depressing. Residential developments these days often use green space as a draw to appeal to more potential buyers/tenants. Of course I understand that concrete requires practically zero maintenance whereas infield dirt needs a substantial amount — I have a degree in metropolitan studies and I’d like to get a masters in urban planning if I can ever afford to go back to school (and it doesn’t take a specialist to understand that concrete is easier to deal with) — but precluding people from being able to play pickup games there just seems like a missed opportunity to me. It’s like the number one thing that would make it a really cool place to live (“Move to this building and you can have your friends over for beer league games all weekend!”) is something they’re not even going to do. They’re making it into a memorial instead of giving it a chance to be a living space. That doesn’t make much sense to me.

• cur68 - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Your idea makes me think of apartments/townhomes ringing the field where the stands and concessions used to be and a smaller but still usable field with a league comprised of complex residents and surrounding neighbourhood families. Such a thing is sustainable with condo fees and league memberships used to maintain the field. What with volunteer help, this sounds doable to me. Many a Community League is run this way.

I would gladly pay to live and play there.

• shanabartels - Mar 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM

That sounds adorable. And awesome.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Concrete infield? Wiffle!!!

• hwatt - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:31 AM

huh? source article clearly shows the whole infield is left intact, complete with the diamond.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Wherever the original diamond had dirt there is now earth-tone concrete and the green area of the picture is apparently grass.

5. stlouis1baseball - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:39 AM

A friend of mine is doing all the Windows and Doors on this project.
    Once complete…it’s going to be a really nice complex. Much better than the weeds infested lot that became a crime safe haven in the last decade. Well done Indy.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Did he sell them on Triple Panes? Total scam, that is

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Hahaha! On point Delaware. Insulated Glass is Insulated Glass is Insulated Glass.
        I don’t care if it has 2, 3, 5 or 8 panes. If it’s Insulated…it’s Insulated. Everything else is fluff.

6. DelawarePhilliesFan - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Didn’t Joni Mitchell write a song about this?

(alternate version for little punks)

Didn’t the Counting Crows sing a song about this?

• dexterismyhero - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Paved paradise, put up an aparment building and a parking lot!!!!

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Don’t it always seem to go, Indy don’t know what they’ve got till it’s gone….

7. asimonetti88 - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM

This is an incredibly cool idea. I would love to see more cities look at this for ideas.

8. Uncle Charlie - Mar 26, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Couldn’t pay me to live in that part of town. Ah, downtown Indy.

9. robertpack55 - Mar 26, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Here’s a link to some video animation of the plans

10. chicoruiz - Mar 28, 2013 at 1:32 PM

…and it don’t rain in Indianapolis, in the summer time!

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2493)