Mar 27, 2013, 10:59 PM EDT
A.J. Burnett is entering the final chapter of that failed five-year, $82.5 million contract that he signed in December 2008 with the Yankees. Having made all that money, the 36-year-old righty is thinking about walking away from the game a bit early.
Burnett told Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on Wednesday that he might retire from baseball when the 2013 season ends to spend more time with his family. He’s being pressured by his Pirates teammates to stick around for two more years and help lead the organization’s turnaround, but Burnett has two kids nearing their teenage years and he wants to be more involved in their lives as they grow into young adults.
“It’s a family thing,” the veteran starter said Wednesday in Pirates camp. “My kids are 9 and 12 now. I’m sure if I mention (retiring) to (the kids), they’d say, ‘No, keep playing.’ But … I don’t know.”
Burnett posted a superb 3.51 ERA in 31 starts last season for the Bucs, striking out 180 batters in 202 1/3 innings. He was traded from New York to Pittsburgh in February 2012 for two minor leaguers.
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 5
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 45
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 47
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 37
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 98
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (99)