A.J. Burnett might retire after the 2013 season

Mar 27, 2013, 10:59 PM EDT

a.j. burnett getty Getty Images

A.J. Burnett is entering the final chapter of that failed five-year, $82.5 million contract that he signed in December 2008 with the Yankees. Having made all that money, the 36-year-old righty is thinking about walking away from the game a bit early.

Burnett told Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on Wednesday that he might retire from baseball when the 2013 season ends to spend more time with his family. He’s being pressured by his Pirates teammates to stick around for two more years and help lead the organization’s turnaround, but Burnett has two kids nearing their teenage years and he wants to be more involved in their lives as they grow into young adults.

“It’s a family thing,” the veteran starter said Wednesday in Pirates camp. “My kids are 9 and 12 now. I’m sure if I mention (retiring) to (the kids), they’d say, ‘No, keep playing.’ But … I don’t know.”

Burnett posted a superb 3.51 ERA in 31 starts last season for the Bucs, striking out 180 batters in 202 1/3 innings. He was traded from New York to Pittsburgh in February 2012 for two minor leaguers.

1. mybrunoblog - Mar 27, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Not much to say about Burnett except that the Clemente era throwback hat he’s wearing in that photo is pretty awesome.

2. munsonsgravity - Mar 27, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Further evidence of the genius of Brian Ca$hman.

• xavier46 - Mar 28, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Because the yanks got something out of the trade?

• bronxbomber213 - Mar 28, 2013 at 1:21 AM

obviously u didnt watch game 2 of the 09 World Series…..

3. Stiller43 - Mar 28, 2013 at 1:29 AM

I sincerely hope he stays as a #3 or #4 behind Cole and Taillon in a year or two. He was the only BUCCO that seemingly had a consistent season (even cutch had SOME down time). Lets go buccos!

4. brewcrewfan54 - Mar 28, 2013 at 1:40 AM

I don’t know that a 3.5 ERA is superb but it is very nice.

• southofheaven81 - Mar 28, 2013 at 9:55 AM

If he could help lead the Bucs to their first winning season since the Bronze age that would be a nice way to go out.

5. Stiller43 - Mar 28, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Brewcrewfan,

When youre a bucco, anything under a 6 era is superb.

6. ottomanismydog - Mar 28, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Money move.. Ahh maybe I’ll retire.. Here’s $6 mil to be a #3… Ok I’ll stay.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey