Mar 27, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
Bryce Harper will likely miss the Nationals’ final two Grapefruit League games while letting his swollen left thumb heal, but the 20-year-old outfielder hopes to play Friday against the Yankees in Washington in advance of Opening Day on Monday.
In other Harper news, I was in a restaurant with my kids last night where SportsCenter was showing his spring training stats. My son asked me if someone hitting .490 is good. I said yeah. So now my son likes Bryce Harper. He also has no patience for people who talk about how spring training stats are meaningless.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 280
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 24
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 32
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (282)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)