Mar 27, 2013, 12:31 PM EDT
Bryce Harper will likely miss the Nationals’ final two Grapefruit League games while letting his swollen left thumb heal, but the 20-year-old outfielder hopes to play Friday against the Yankees in Washington in advance of Opening Day on Monday.
In other Harper news, I was in a restaurant with my kids last night where SportsCenter was showing his spring training stats. My son asked me if someone hitting .490 is good. I said yeah. So now my son likes Bryce Harper. He also has no patience for people who talk about how spring training stats are meaningless.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69