Bryce Harper to miss a couple of days with a sore thumb

Mar 27, 2013, 12:31 PM EST

bryce harper getty Getty Images

Bryce Harper has torn the cover off the ball this spring training. He’s wanting to avoid tearing his body too, so he’s taking a breather:

Bryce Harper will likely miss the Nationals’ final two Grapefruit League games while letting his swollen left thumb heal, but the 20-year-old outfielder hopes to play Friday against the Yankees in Washington in advance of Opening Day on Monday.

In other Harper news, I was in a restaurant with my kids last night where SportsCenter was showing his spring training stats. My son asked me if someone hitting .490 is good. I said yeah. So now my son likes Bryce Harper. He also has no patience for people who talk about how spring training stats are meaningless.

1. goskinsvt - Mar 27, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Obviously unsustainable, but still pretty damn impressive stat line through 63 ABs (.476/.507/.730). Not unthinkable he could hit .320 with 30/30 this season.

• js20011041 - Mar 27, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I don’t know that he’ll hit .320, but I definitely see an outstanding year. I keep reading that the consensus around the industry is that he’s going to just go off this year. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect 280/380/550 with 40 homers and 25 to 30 stolen bases. I just hope he’s healthy all year. He’s just so much fun to watch. For all of the comps between Cespedes and Bo Jackson and Puig and Bo Jackson, I’m kind of surprised Harper doesn’t get that comp. He’s basically Bo Jackson with a little less speed.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 27, 2013 at 1:55 PM

JS:
        I don’t agree with the comparison to Bo Jackson at all.
        But this right here does speak volumes…

“He’s basically Bo Jackson with a little less speed.”

This really puts Bo’s speed in perspective. As fast as Bryce is…he still is slower than Bo. Because Bo was off the damn charts! Wow.

• nightman13 - Mar 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM

One of the greatest athletic demonstrations I have ever seen was Bo Jackson vs Barry Sanders on Monday Night Football. Ridiculous

• js20011041 - Mar 27, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I agree that Bo Jackson was a once in a generation type athlete, but Harper isn’t that far off if you look at their tools. Immense raw power. Incredible arm strength. The fact that Harper has those tools AND has good speed puts him in a category with only a handful of players in the history of the game. I might even give Harper the edge over Bo because I think his plate discipline will give him a better chance at maximizing his offensive tools. Jackson may be in a class by himself but I think Harper’s a little closer than you give him credit for.

• psuravens19 - Mar 27, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Bo Jackson was unstoppable on TECMO BOWL…

• evanwins - Mar 27, 2013 at 2:44 PM

.320 would be quite an improvement over the .270 he hit last year. I doubt he’ll raise his average a full 50 points.

2. kegrun - Mar 27, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Welp thats it Nats fans. Cuncel da Season!

3. Francisco (FC) - Mar 27, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Look at the bright side: They weren’t showcasing Yuniesky Betancourt and his .447 batting average. Imagine if your Kid started liking THAT.

• bankboy2012 - Mar 27, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Well, they’d learn early that dreams die hard for one. Sometimes having all that pesky optimism stomped out of you early isn’t a bad thing.

4. thatley99 - Mar 27, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Crap! I hope he’ll be ready for opening day, I planned on taking him in both of the pools I’m entering that day for free.

5. nightman13 - Mar 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM

What is it with these Nationals and shutting everybody down? ; )

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester