Mar 27, 2013, 6:36 PM EST
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that the Cardinals have signed Adam Wainwright to a five-year contract extension worth $97.5 million. That’s an average annual salary of $19.5 million, which isn’t bad value for a guy who has been an ace in the past and is likely to be an ace again moving forward.
Wainwright was scheduled to become a free agent after the 2013 season. Now he’ll be property of the Cardinals through at least the 2018 campaign.
The 31-year-old right-hander posted a 3.94 ERA, 1.25 WHIP and 184/52 K/BB ratio across 198 2/3 innings in 2012 after recovering successfully from Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery surgery. He owns a 3.15 career ERA and a 1.21 career WHIP.
“Waino” has registered a 3.00 ERA and 18/6 K/BB ratio in 27 Grapefruit League innings this spring.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27