Mar 27, 2013, 6:36 PM EDT
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that the Cardinals have signed Adam Wainwright to a five-year contract extension worth $97.5 million. That’s an average annual salary of $19.5 million, which isn’t bad value for a guy who has been an ace in the past and is likely to be an ace again moving forward.
Wainwright was scheduled to become a free agent after the 2013 season. Now he’ll be property of the Cardinals through at least the 2018 campaign.
The 31-year-old right-hander posted a 3.94 ERA, 1.25 WHIP and 184/52 K/BB ratio across 198 2/3 innings in 2012 after recovering successfully from Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery surgery. He owns a 3.15 career ERA and a 1.21 career WHIP.
“Waino” has registered a 3.00 ERA and 18/6 K/BB ratio in 27 Grapefruit League innings this spring.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)