Mar 27, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that Bloomquist has a Grade 2 strain and there’s no timetable for his return. Based on backdating the DL stint the earliest he could come back is April 11.
Even without the injury he’d have had a very hard time repeating last year’s production, but Bloomquist was actually pretty valuable for the Diamondbacks while hitting .302 with a .724 OPS in 80 games. It was the first season of his 11-year career with an OPS above .700.
For all of their hard-nosed grit the Diamondbacks sure have a lot of injuries already.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 22
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 83
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)