Mar 27, 2013, 3:59 PM EDT
This comes out every year: Forbes’ team valuations and the breakdown of who’s making money, who’s losing money and all that jazz.
You’ll not be surprised to see that the Yankees are the most valuable, the Rays the least. Still, the Rays’ value increased from year-to-year by 40% and they cleared $10 million. Owning a baseball team is like printing money, really.
For most teams anyway. Forbes claims that six teams in baseball lost money last year: the Angels, Rangers, Marlins, Blue Jays, Mets and Tigers. Of course all those numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt given what we know about the books of Major League Baseball teams: virtually nothing. And we know that many teams pay their owners various fess and things for amorphous reasons and unknown tasks, all of which negatively impacts the team’s bottom line while clearly not harming the owners a bit. Ask Jeff Loria how that works.
It’s a nice snapshot, but not much more. There just isn’t enough data out there for anyone to check these numbers and the only people in a position to correct them — the owners themselves — wouldn’t dare reveal what they really make or lose.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 0
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 53
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)