Mar 27, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT
Erasmo Ramirez threw 59 innings with a 3.28 ERA and 48/12 K/BB ratio for the Mariners as a 22-year-old rookie last season, but that wasn’t enough to get him a spot in the Opening Day rotation.
Seattle optioned Ramirez to Triple-A and also reassigned reclamation project Jeremy Bonderman to minor-league camp, which means the Mariners are filling out the rotation with Blake Beavan and Brandon Maurer.
Jon Garland was also in the mix for a rotation spot, but the Mariners released him earlier this week and he quickly signed with the Rockies.
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 14
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 11
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 51
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)