Mar 27, 2013, 3:18 PM EST
Erasmo Ramirez threw 59 innings with a 3.28 ERA and 48/12 K/BB ratio for the Mariners as a 22-year-old rookie last season, but that wasn’t enough to get him a spot in the Opening Day rotation.
Seattle optioned Ramirez to Triple-A and also reassigned reclamation project Jeremy Bonderman to minor-league camp, which means the Mariners are filling out the rotation with Blake Beavan and Brandon Maurer.
Jon Garland was also in the mix for a rotation spot, but the Mariners released him earlier this week and he quickly signed with the Rockies.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)