Mar 27, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT
Erasmo Ramirez threw 59 innings with a 3.28 ERA and 48/12 K/BB ratio for the Mariners as a 22-year-old rookie last season, but that wasn’t enough to get him a spot in the Opening Day rotation.
Seattle optioned Ramirez to Triple-A and also reassigned reclamation project Jeremy Bonderman to minor-league camp, which means the Mariners are filling out the rotation with Blake Beavan and Brandon Maurer.
Jon Garland was also in the mix for a rotation spot, but the Mariners released him earlier this week and he quickly signed with the Rockies.
- The beauty of belief 21
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 35
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 71
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 15
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)