Mar 27, 2013, 5:47 PM EST
Hammel missed nearly the entire second half with a knee injury, but he’s healthy now and was a pretty easy choice for the Game 1 assignment.
Last year’s Opening Day starter was Jake Arrieta, who ended up going 3-9 with a 6.20 ERA. So if nothing else Hammel doesn’t exactly have big shoes to fill.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)