Phil Hughes to start the season on the disabled list

Mar 27, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT

Kinda saw this coming:

Not the end of the world as he seems to be progressing from earlier back trouble this spring. But it’s not as if the Yankees needed any more DL time either.

He could be back the second week of April. Given the days off in the early schedule, that shouldn’t have too much of an impact.

1. proudlycanadian - Mar 27, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I doubt that Hughes will be missed very much. He is only slightly better than Nova and Phelps.

• uyf1950 - Mar 27, 2013 at 2:52 PM

My friend, now that’s not very nice? Considering Hughes in 2012 had a better strikeout to walk ratio than Josh Johnson and a better WHIP and 2 times as many wins And his numbers compared to Mark Buehrle were pretty similar across the board.

• proudlycanadian - Mar 27, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Hughes was so very inconsistent last year. He was on my fantasy team and I remember never knowing what I would get. He was great for a while and then terrible. I note that you did not praise either Nova or Phelps.

• uyf1950 - Mar 27, 2013 at 3:54 PM

My friend like I’ve said numerous times I call them like I see them. Nova was pretty bad in 2012 I think that was pretty obvious and goes without saying. As for Phelps, I like Phelps but he really doesn’t have an extensive track record. But he did pitch pretty well in his duel capacity as long relief guy and spot starter. I think with a little more experience he will be more then a capable #4 or #5 starter. But only some more time will tell for sure.

2. uyf1950 - Mar 27, 2013 at 2:44 PM

That’s only one start no big deal.

3. historiophiliac - Mar 27, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Dang it, our opening weekend games are gonna suck. We’re gonna be playing the Yankees-lite. :(

• Kevin S. - Mar 27, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Don’t think Hughes affects things much. You were getting Nova and CC regardless, it just looks like you’ll face Phelps and a bit more of the deep, kick-ass bullpen instead of Hughes.

• historiophiliac - Mar 27, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I was reacting more to that it seems like a good number of your people are on the DL. I wasn’t just referring to Hughes. The post just reminded me.

• Kevin S. - Mar 27, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Yeah, that’s true. Should still get a kick-ass Sabathia/Verlander duel on Sunday, though.

4. rbj1 - Mar 27, 2013 at 3:19 PM

At this rate the entire team is going to start the season on the DL. no wonder they keep picking up guys thrown on the scrap pile.

5. uyf1950 - Mar 27, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Honest question here for other teams fans. Can anyone search their memories for if or when 5 regular starters OPENED the season on the DL.

The Yankees will start the season to various degrees with: A-Rod / Jeter / Tex / Granderson and Hughes on the DL. That’s just the starters.

• proudlycanadian - Mar 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

The second baseman is solid, but the rest of the infield will be new. Some singles hitters and an Angel in the outfield. The geezers at the top of the rotation had better be sharp to start the season.

• dirtyharry1971 - Mar 27, 2013 at 11:26 PM

it wont matter how sharp anyone is, the jays should be printing their WS tickets now!! Call AA now!!

6. cackalackyank - Mar 27, 2013 at 7:40 PM

While new to the Yankees, Youkilis is hardly new to the infield. I do not think overall that pitching and defense will be the issues up front…lack of timely hitting is going to be the thing to watch, especially since there is going to quite a bit less of it than in previous years to begin with. NYY issues in order of occurence and severity: Offence, defense (particularly Nunez), pitching.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2974)