Mar 27, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Tepesch is 24 years old and has yet to pitch above Double-A. And in fact he wasn’t even all that good at Double-A, making 14 starts there with a 4.28 ERA, 68/26 K/BB ratio, and 97 hits allowed in 90 innings.
Robbie Ross and Michael Kirkman were also in the running for the spot, but the Rangers decided they preferred them both in the bullpen and opted not to make a run at free agent Kyle Lohse. Instead they’ll hope that Tepesch can hold his own until Lewis or Perez is ready in a couple months.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)