Mar 27, 2013, 8:46 AM EDT
Is spring training over yet? I’m assuming the Diamondbacks wish it was. For they lost three more players to injury in last night’s meaningless game.
First, second baseman Aaron Hill was hit on the left little finger with a Jered Weaver pitch in the first inning. Then outfielder Jason Kubel rolled his left ankle a bit coming out of the batter’s box in the second, and finally, shortstop Willie Bloomquist strained his right oblique muscle while swinging at a pitch in the third.
Hill seems OK and won’t miss time. Kubel is day-to-day. Bloomquist will have an MRI today but is pretty sure that he’s going to miss Opening Day.
Spring training always seems to last a week or two too long. This year, because of the WBC, it actually was a week or two too long. Enough: let’s get some players injured in games that mattered rather than in games that don’t.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 23
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 43
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 48
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)