Brian Cashman on Derek Jeter: “We’re just trying to back off and eliminate the pain”

Mar 28, 2013, 10:47 AM EST

Derel Jeter

By backdating his season-opening stint on the disabled list Derek Jeter is eligible to play for the Yankees on April 6, but it sounds like that has little chance of happening.

Jeter last played in a minor-league game Saturday, serving as a designated hitter, and general manager Brian Cashman told Bryan Hoch of MLB.com that he won’t play in another game until next week at the earliest.

“We’re just trying to back off and eliminate the pain,” Cashman said. “We’ll back off completely. He won’t be doing anything; he won’t be playing any games here for the next few days.”

That obviously doesn’t sound like the plan for someone who’ll be ready for play regular season games by April 6, so the Yankees are looking at Eduardo Nunez as their starting shortstop for a while.

1. number42is1 - Mar 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM

(almost) All jokes aside.. how much money do the Yanks have on the DL right now?

• asimonetti88 - Mar 28, 2013 at 11:38 AM

• number42is1 - Mar 28, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I do not know if that is real or just a joke but if it is legit its frickin amazing!

• Kevin S. - Mar 28, 2013 at 11:55 AM

It’s legit.

*sadface*

2. spudchukar - Mar 28, 2013 at 11:39 AM

That might very well be the motto, the Yankee fans incorporate this year too, “We are just trying to back off and eliminate the pain”.

• bigharold - Mar 28, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Sounds suspiciously like bridge year to me.

$100 for a decent seat, $35 for parking the car, $9.50 for a beer, .. not to mention another $45 in gas a tolls. Frankly, I’m tired of hearing about the Yankees desire to get under 189 mil.

3. uyf1950 - Mar 28, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I have a question I’d like some opinions on this. Apparently Jeter is not healing as quickly as both he and the Yankees would have liked, for whatever reason. Here is my question. Does anyone here think this setback in Jeters recovery schedule might give him pause about playing past this season, and not exercising his 2014 option?

He obviously has more money then he could ever spend and it’s highly unlikely that he will reach the 4,000 hits level. So why would he continue especially if this injury limits his defensive abilities even more going forward?

• Kevin S. - Mar 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Actually, I think how the Yankees do this season will dictate what he does. He’s not going to want to end his career on a non-playoff team, IMO.

As for his option, I’d be stunned if he doesn’t opt out regardless. If I understand the LT rules correctly, opting in makes his LT hit $14 million for 2014, since it will be the final year of a 4-year, $56 million contract. If he opts out and re-signs for the same $5 million he declined, his hit is $5 million. That leaves plenty of space in between for Jeter to earn more by opting out while counting for less against the Yanks’ LT bill. They’ll work something out.

• hammyofdoom - Mar 28, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I think that there’s a chance. If he goes through the entire year and he just isn’t “right” I can see him not wanting to continue any longer past that. The one thing is he doesn’t have a family, which is one of the biggest reasons for athletes to kind of be drawn away from the game, but if this injury does keep up with messing him up I think he just might retire.

I’m a Red Sox fan but I hold no hate for Jeets. Hope he’s alright and doesnt go out with a whimper.

• Roger Moore - Mar 28, 2013 at 12:02 PM

No, I don’t think that will have much impact. What’s far more likely to affect his decision is how he performs once he gets back on the field. If the slow recovery hurts his on-field performance, he’s a lot more likely to hang up his spikes. If he’s still able to perform at something like his regular ability once he’s fully recovered, he’ll probably want to stick around.

As much as we fans might like to ignore it, very few players retire when they have anything left in the tank. They tend to retire only when it’s obvious that they aren’t producing, and for many of them the only way they’re willing to accept that is that they aren’t getting any job offers. Jeter will probably keep playing until the Yankees aren’t willing to pay him anymore, or until playing is physically painful enough that he doesn’t want to do it anymore.

• bigharold - Mar 28, 2013 at 6:51 PM

For the most part I agree but not with Jeter.

Most top echelon athletes are successful for three reasons; 1. God given talent, incredible work ethic and supreme confidence in their abilities. Frequently, it’s that confidence that doesn’t allow them to recognize that they are no longer the athlete that they once were. The best example of that was Muhammed Ali. Jeter, has the confidence for sure. He still has, in my opinion, the desire for competition. But, he also is keenly self aware. He’s made great effort over the years to cultivate and maintain his image. He’s not going to jeopardize that. I think if he’s not getting from him the performance that he expects, .. and doesn’t think, going forward, he’ll be able to I won’t be the least bit surprised if he walks away.

That being said I fully expect him to be manning SS full time before the Summer. To date there has been a lot of percentage in selling Jeter short.

• cackalackyank - Mar 28, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I absolutely think that Jeter could call it a career if the healling doesn’t happen soon, and have said that the fact his option for 2014 is just that…HIS option, will loom large . Given the unlikely chance at 4000 hits, and the question of what position he would play if he can’t play short anymore, he really has to be giving this serious thought. (I do not see him as an almost everyday DH, so he has to play the in field regularly somewhere.) As you say he does not need the money, he does not need to try and hang on to get a ring, (he already has one for the thumb). Even if he put up great numbers he would not get an MVP because he is not a power hitter (we’ve aready seen that), so what does he have to prove, or how can he do anything but lower his standard? Since I still see playoffs and a stretch drive as doubtful this fall, adding Jeter’s name (and maybe Pettitte’s) to the Mo farewell tour might be a way to keep packing them in.

• cur68 - Mar 28, 2013 at 12:30 PM

He’ll keep playing as long as he can hit. I think his days as a SS are done, though. That ankle is going to have arthritis in it soon if it doesn’t already. I predict that he’ll play out his contract.

4. stex52 - Mar 28, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I don’t pretend to know Jeter. But it’s not always about the awards or the rings. It’s not even always about the money (although the money is huge and hard to walk away from). A baseball player is what he is. Anyone can find it hard to walk away from what they do and what they are.

If he stays, it may be for that reason as much as any.

5. historiophiliac - Mar 28, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Beer stash in the fridge — check
    Adequate stock of supplies for black-eyed pea dip — check
    MLB subscription — check
    Unlimited texting with my baseball buddies — check

/fluffs pillow on recliner and settles in with a giant bowl of popcorn

Doom Watch!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4963)
  2. M. Kemp (3492)
  3. J. Kang (2642)
  4. J. Upton (2604)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2595)
  1. C. McGehee (2572)