Cardinals to wear a patch to honor Stan Musial this season

Mar 28, 2013, 7:13 AM EDT

Stan Musial

Derrick Goold has the details. Nice touch: it’s not black:

“Not that it wouldn’t have been appropriate,” Cardinals president Bill DeWitt III said this week at the team’s spring training complex, “but we felt it should be colors that were more a celebration of a life.”

That’s pretty cool. Sometimes traditional mourning is appropriate. Sometimes it isn’t. When someone lived for as long as Musial did and when that person was nothing but positive and wonderful for that entire life, sorrow and black and all of that stuff seems wrong somehow. It was the same with Ernie Harwell too, in my mind. Celebration should be the operative word.

1. philliesblow - Mar 28, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Classy move by the Cards, but I didn’t expect anything else. Hopefully the Tigers follow suit when the time comes for their #6 (and even more hopefully it will be years from now). The patch they wore for Ernie was the standard black circle with a white EH. Should have been something like this:

2. datdangdrewdundunituhgin - Mar 28, 2013 at 9:13 AM

that turtle emblem is badass! very cool move by the cardinals, and as suggested – we expected no less. this makes me want to purchase a cardinals jersey, or at the very least buy this patch and make a collage for the wall.

3. 18thstreet - Mar 28, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I just visited St. Louis and toured the ballpark. Lovely city. Nice people. Cool ballpark, though (as with most new ballparks), I’m never sure what was wrong with the old one.

I’m surprised, given the love for Musial, that they aren’t renaming the team ‘the Musials’ for a year in his honor. His name and image is all over that place. I deserve all the thumbs-down I’m going to receive for this comment, but here goes: Bob Gibson was pretty good at baseball, too. It seemed a little disproportionate.

• carbydrash - Mar 28, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Bob Gibson is awfully beloved in St. Louis, FYI. I mean *beloved*. Musial may have been loved a bit more, but it’s not as though Gibson is treated like Garry Templeton or something.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 28, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Wow. I never thought I would see someone (almost) complain about Stan’s statue being too big. While The Wizard’s and Gibson’s were too small. Dude has been on his own personal crusade since C.C.’s “gay ballplayer” article.

• paperlions - Mar 28, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Musial isn’t just loved because of the level of his play, but because of the person he was…while Gibson is also a good guy, few (if any) can really be compared to Stan.

• blues1988 - Mar 28, 2013 at 11:10 AM

not renaming the team but we are naming the new Mississippi River bridge “Stan Musial Memorial Bridge” which i think is awesome!

• 18thstreet - Mar 28, 2013 at 11:59 AM

This surprises me not at all. Actually, I’m slightly surprised there isn’t already a Musial Bridge.

• drdeadly - Mar 28, 2013 at 4:54 PM

You do know that Bob Gibson is still ALIVE, right? Are you suggesting the Cards wear a patch to mourn Gibby just to make things equal (even though #45 is still alive) ?????? I know of no team that honors past greats more than the St. Louis Cardinals. Look at Opening Day when all the Hall of Famers will be on hand in red sport coats and listen to the ovation each receives.

• 18thstreet - Mar 28, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I think I’m being misunderstood. I think Musial was great. And I don’t think anyone should be wearing memorial patches for anyone for is alive.

4. blabidibla - Mar 28, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I coach a Pony league Cardinals team and I so want to buy these for the squad. We’ve managed to teach the kids a bit about Mr Musial already this year, having dedicated the season to “The Man.”

5. stex52 - Mar 28, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I’m a big Gibson fan from when I was a kid. But I don’t see how you are in any way dishonoring him by honoring Musial. And Musial was one of the very best.

Also agree that a black border for a man who lived an exemplary life and died at 92 would have been silly. I should do so well.

• 18thstreet - Mar 28, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I just think it’s a little weird, how prevalent The Man is at that ballpark. AND I THINK HE WAS AWESOME.

You know how Ben Franklin is ALL OVER Philadelphia? Well, that makes sense to me. He’s Ben Franklin. And, it’s Philadelphia. Who else are they going to honor, Moses Malone? With the Cardinals and Musial, it’s as if he’s the only great player they ever had. His statue is 10 feet tall. Ozzie Smith’s can fit in my pocket. It’s startling.

• paperlions - Mar 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Startling, maybe, but also consistent with both how much better Musial was at baseball and at being a person that Smith was/is. Sorry if you don’t understand it, but the legend of Musial really is both bigger than any other Cardinal (by far) and more deserved as well.

• 18thstreet - Mar 28, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I’m not really complaining about anything. I just left the ballpark tour thinking, “Wow. These guys really like Stan Musial.”

• drdeadly - Mar 28, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Amazed that people want to say all greats should be equal. Stan does have a statue the same scale of Ozzie Smith’s and other Hall of Famers. He also has the statue that is larger and addresses not only his baseball ability (1,815 hits at home and 1,815 on the road for one) but also his status as a person (his name and phone number was listed in the phone book during his playing career) that was approachable, humble, and genuine. Recently recognized in receiving the Medal of Freedom and the U.S. Navy Memorial’s Lone Sailor Award, which honors Navy veterans who’ve excelled in civilian life. Instead of worrying about the size of the statue, read the words etched upon it: “Here stands baseball’s perfect warrior. Here stands baseball’s perfect knight.” That explains it. Rest in Peace STAN the MAN

• 18thstreet - Mar 28, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Hey, I posed in front of that statue. A lovely woman who works for the Cardinals accounting department took my photo. I think he was great. Did I say otherwise?

6. cintiphil - Mar 28, 2013 at 3:06 PM

We all liked Stan in the “old days”. Ask any real B-B fan who wouldn’t try to get to old Crosley just to watch him play. Most of us did. He was the greatest in our league anyway. A nice guy who tried to give fans access, and truly seemed to like people.

Three legends off to Cooperstown