Mar 28, 2013, 5:47 PM EDT
Six weeks after being diagnosed with a strained intercostal muscle and one month after he was said to be “7-10 days” from returning Daniel Murphy finally made his spring training debut today.
He went 1-for-3, played five innings defensively at second base, and reported no problems, telling Jorge Castillo of the Newark Star Ledger that he expects to be in the Opening Day lineup despite seeing only a handful of spring at-bats.
He’ll have to avoid a setback in the Mets’ final two games and it sounds like Murphy was still moving around a little bit gingerly this afternoon, but for now he’s ready to go.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (76)