DEREK JETER TO NEW YORK: DROP DEAD!!*

Mar 28, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT

New York Yankees infielder Jeter walks to the dugout after stretching during a workout at the team's MLB spring training complex at George M. Steinbrenner Field in Tampa, Florida. Reuters

*This is the headline I’d use for this if I wrote for the New York Post or Daily News. I don’t, though, so assume I’m saying this ironically.

In reality this is just a story in Forbes about how Derek Jeter has gone through a lot of effort in order to establish his residence as Florida instead of New York so that he can avoid New York taxes.  As Forbes reports, he’s likely done it, selling his palatial New York condo and moving in to this stately Tamps manse.

Let’s do a thought experiment: this same story happens, but it’s A-Rod. Any doubt at all that Lupica and that crowd accuses him of being a tax evader? Can any of them resist calling him a modern-day Al Capone, hung up by taxes even though his greater crimes involve murder er–, I mean steroids?

(thanks to Jeff G. for the heads up)

1. gibbskins9 - Mar 28, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Lupica is a no talent PUNK

• bigharold - Mar 28, 2013 at 6:07 PM

What he said.

And, don’t think for a minute just because he hasn’t yet Lupica won’t have something snarky to say about Jeter. Lupica is a sanctimonious little runt that likes talking shots at all things Yankee. He won’t give Jeter the “full monty” but he won’t let it pass either. How could he? He’s Mike Lupica guardian of all that is good and wholesome in sports, .. no, .. in the world. Protector of the weak and disenfranchised. Self appointed arbitrator goodness and evil. And a no talent punk.

• 4d3fect - Mar 28, 2013 at 6:47 PM

“runt”

I think you used the wrong first letter.

• skids003 - Mar 29, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Nothwithstanding the fact that Lupica hasn’t been the same since Kingman stuffed him in his locker, who can blame Jeter. That stupid Governor Cuomo is more worried about disarming his law abaiding citizens that he is in taking care of New Yorkers. I have some frinds there, and between him and the dummy Mayor, they are thinking of leaving too.

• badintent - Mar 29, 2013 at 1:00 AM

so is Craig for ripping off the NY Post Headline when President Ford told NY State’s request for a bailout to Drop Dead.

• pipkin42 - Mar 29, 2013 at 4:24 AM

BREAKING: Writer references pop culture.

Congrats. You got the reference. Craig intended you to. How is he a punk?

• bigharold - Mar 29, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Actually that was a NYDN headline.

2. vallewho - Mar 28, 2013 at 5:10 PM

tru-dat

3. El Bravo - Mar 28, 2013 at 5:14 PM

So were the hell does he sleep during the season w/o a residence in NYC area?

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Mar 28, 2013 at 5:23 PM

That’s what those gift baskets of his are for.

• shawnuel - Mar 28, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Damn…..you beat me to it!

4. eagles512 - Mar 28, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Probably rents a place

• El Bravo - Mar 28, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Which brings me to my next point. If he rents or uses a hotel, is this not cutting into his savings quite a bit?

• historiophiliac - Mar 28, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Y-M-C-A, it’s fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A!

• kiwicricket - Mar 28, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Where is Randy? He’s our resident sleazy NY real estate guy.
        Not really in the know as it is slightly out of my price bracket…but I would guess 40K per month would get an acceptable rental pad?

Rent it for approx 8mnths=320K.
        That’s approx. 4 game checks for Jeter.
        Rates, Property taxes and the increased income tax would be higher than that I imagine.

Slight demerit points for bringing chicks back to your rental, though.

• historiophiliac - Mar 28, 2013 at 9:32 PM

For realz. I never go with dudes to their rentals. What?

5. Al - Mar 28, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Haven’t you heard, Craig? New York is the LEAST FREE state in the country! http://freedominthe50states.org/ In moving to Florida, Jeter moves up 27 places on the freedom chart! And who can fault a man for simply trying to be more free?

• El Bravo - Mar 28, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I wouldn’t f with any of the top 5 “free” states with your d.

• historiophiliac - Mar 28, 2013 at 5:55 PM

OMG, the Frying Pan is in the top 5. Run like hell. That’s not freedom. It’s misery.

• indaburg - Mar 28, 2013 at 7:11 PM

North Dakota is #1? Riiiiiiight.

• APBA Guy - Mar 28, 2013 at 7:11 PM

The link is to some nonsense created by the Koch backed Mercatus Center at the Koch backed George Mason University, a place I attended long ago. Naturally in this Koch created alternate universe California is next to New York as “least free” which will certainly be news to the folks in San Francisco.

• historiophiliac - Mar 28, 2013 at 9:33 PM

They mean “baseball-free.”

• nygiantstones - Mar 28, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I’m totally moving to North Dakota. The career opportunities must be endless and the standard of living off the charts! Oh, wait.

• pipkin42 - Mar 29, 2013 at 4:26 AM

I am very proud to have lived in three of the least-free states. MD, NY, and CA represent!

6. mybrunoblog - Mar 28, 2013 at 5:37 PM

It’s his money. Can’t blame him for wanting to keep as much as possible.
    Ever wonder why there are tons of current and retired MLB players living in Florida? It ain’t just the sun folks.

• bigharold - Mar 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM

There is a great big difference between tax evasion, which is illegal. and tax avoidance which is perfectly legal. If Jeter moved to FL to avoid higher state taxes that is not only legal but ethical in his case too. Besides, he’s already paid more in NYS tax that I will ever pay so it’s not like he’s some cheapskate.

Hey, .. maybe he does like the Sun.

• badintent - Mar 29, 2013 at 12:43 AM

This is a no brainer. Lived and work in NYC for 10 years , 7 in Florida. No State and City income taxes in Florida. And no subway stabbings or holdups in Florida.Jeter is smart and I suggest the rest of you do the same.Unless you are in love with Micheal Bloomberg and Andrew Como. Hope not. No cure for that disease.

7. stercuilus65 - Mar 28, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Thumbs down all you want but he is washed up. It’s not like 2012 was “spring training”.

8. sdelmonte - Mar 28, 2013 at 5:56 PM

It’s not like he can’t afford the taxes.

And personally, I think if he makes his money here and plays in NYC six months of the year, he’s a resident. Same for all the other athletes.

9. randygnyc - Mar 28, 2013 at 6:13 PM

He doesn’t play in New York for six months a year. Ny state tax law requires a person to be a resident for 183 days. Jeter plays half his Yankee games on the road. Jeter most certainly rents an apartment. Even if he’s paying 15-20 thousand per month, he’s saving money. His old apartment had a monthly maintenance of over 15k per month, and he doesn’t have to tie up the many millions in the apartments actual cost.

• cackalackyank - Mar 28, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I was wondering about the residency requirement, but doesn’t the fact that he works for a New York company mean he still has to pay some taxes to NY?

• badintent - Mar 29, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Yes he does. at a minimum ,he has to pay a commuter tax to NYC, like the super rich Wall Street hedge fund managers that commmute from Conn.Tampa would qualifly because it’s outside of New York City. That’s why over 100 Fortune companies left NY in the 70s and 80′s for places like Texas , Delaware, etc.. Good question.

• lardin - Mar 29, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Athletes pay Taxes based on where they earn there money. Since Jeter plays half of his games in NYC, he pays NY taxes on 50% of his salary. He pays MA taxes when he plays the sox, and he pays CA taxes when he plays in Oakland or LA.

Establishing Residence in FL, allows to not pay state income taxes on any endoresemen salary

10. Chris Fiorentino - Mar 28, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Lets do another thought experiment. This same story happens but it’s someone heavily into politics and is a Republican. Hardballtalk commenters flood the posting comments with hate and vitriol faster than Usain Bolt. But when its a baseball player not named Schilling, it’s all good.

• historiophiliac - Mar 28, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I don’t understand what that has to do with Biogenesis.

• Chris Fiorentino - Mar 28, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Huh? Did I miss something? I know Ben’s just being a jag off, but I don’t understand what you are saying here.

• historiophiliac - Mar 28, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Oh, I’m probably being a jag off by raising a topic completely unrelated to the post.

• Chris Fiorentino - Mar 28, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Oh I see what you did there. Nice one. Nozzle.

• historiophiliac - Mar 28, 2013 at 9:46 PM

;)

• Ben - Mar 28, 2013 at 7:52 PM

To be clear: moving to another state is the same thing as defaulting on a loan? Gotcha. I also assume that moving to another state, when you never have said anything about whether it’s okay to move to another state, is the same level of hypocrisy as criticizing people for taking government money and then taking it yourself. Double gotcha.

• Chris Fiorentino - Mar 28, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Hey Ben…I guess doing steroids and generally being a dick (like A-Rod) is the same as moving to another state too, right? Yet I don’t see a dickish and jerk off comment from you toward Craig even though he is making that comparison. Gotcha.

11. Stiller43 - Mar 28, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I’d do the same thing, so i cant blame him.

12. jdrew506 - Mar 28, 2013 at 8:19 PM

How is this any different then any other professional living and working in different states? I know tons of people who work in NYC but live in NJ. Yes they make their money in NY but that is what payroll tax is for.

• dcarroll73 - Mar 28, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I think the issue here is how many of his ‘work days’ are in NY. I believe that NY state only can tax those days. If you work full-time in NYC and nowhere else, it doesn’t matter whether you live in NY state or elsewhere. In that case NY state wants to tax the whole enchilada (what is our top bracket now, 9%?) On the other hand if you are a resident in another state (a ‘days there’ calculation someone else mentioned) I believe NY can only take its bite on the 81 home games. Any CPAs out there who want to chip in? (Please do a better job that Lawyer Craig who seemed to lump together ‘tax evasion’ and ‘tax avoidance’.)
      Instead of jumping on Jeter, how about a discussion of why $100 million salary in NY equals $91 million in a state with no income tax, and yet the “luxury tax” doesn’t care about mixing those apples and oranges?

13. Walk - Mar 28, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Lot of folks I served with claimed florida and texas as place of residence.

14. munsonsgravity - Mar 28, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Jeter, classless as always.

• dcarroll73 - Mar 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Instead of ‘thumbs down’ can’t we have a ‘handle forfeit’ button? Anyone who calls Jeter ‘classless’ should only be allowed to have ‘munson’ in his name if it’s something like ‘Imnothinglikemunson’ or ‘nonothingaboutmunson’. Go troll elsewhere.

• badintent - Mar 29, 2013 at 12:58 AM

too bad munsongravity wasn’t at the controls instead of Thurmanwhen he crashed his jet.

15. byjiminy - Mar 29, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Hey, the money comes from New Yorker, he earns it in New York, the taxes should stay in New York. He wants to be a man about town in New York, date New York models, he shouldn’t be a cheapskate about it.

I agree with Craig that if this was A-Rod, he’d be scorned for it, and rightly so. Jeter should too.

Rich people who play games with the tax system, which their lackeys wrote for them, make me sick.

There is just one thing about this that makes me happy. I love the thought of Jeter picking up some hottie who’s dying to go home with him, and he says, sorry, my 183 days are up, I have to leave the city by midnight or I have to pay taxes. A guy with everything, including all the money in the world, passing up something he could have had, because he’s too cheap to pay his too-low taxes — that part at least makes me happy.

Of course he will probably just bring her with him on his private jet to Florida, send her home the next day on it, and still come out ahead financially. Rats. I hope he gets a rash.

16. anxovies - Mar 29, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Everyone has the right to minimize his taxes… except ARod.

17. dirtyharry1971 - Mar 30, 2013 at 2:53 AM

what a stupid headline by maybe the worst so called baseball writer i ever seen. How does this guy have a job again? come on really?? he makes pearlman look like he knows what he is talking about!!

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3465)