Mar 28, 2013, 10:49 PM EST
There’s nothing official yet, but after weeks of debate about the pros and cons, it looks like top prospect Jackie Bradley Jr. will break camp with the Red Sox.
According to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal, Ryan Sweeney was told after tonight’s Grapefruit League game against the Twins that he will not be added to the 40-man roster. As a result, Boston’s final two roster spots are expected to go to Mike Carp and Bradley.
Bradley entered spring training as a major long shot to win a roster spot, but things changed in a hurry due to a combination of his excellent play and David Ortiz‘s absence from the lineup. The 22-year-old had an RBI single in tonight’s game and is hitting .441 (26-for-59) with two home runs, four doubles, one triple and 12 RBI in 26 games this spring. Barring a last-minute change, Bradley figures to play left field while Jonny Gomes will fill in for Ortiz out of the DH spot. Things could obviously change once Ortiz is back to full health, but it’s going to be tough to send Bradley down if he keeps producing.
- Jose Iglesias, with an extended aside about cheeseburger and burrito stats 0
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 4
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 29
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86