Mar 28, 2013, 7:02 PM EDT
Unfortunate news coming out of Mets’ camp.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said on a conference call this evening that Santana underwent an MRI in New York which revealed a “probable re-tear” of the anterior capsule in his left shoulder. Alderson called a second surgery “a strong possibility,” which would essentially rule him out for the entire 2013 season.
Santana previously had anterior capsule surgery in September of 2010 and didn’t make his way back to the majors until last April. Given the long road back from the first surgery, it’s possible that he has thrown his final pitch in the major leagues. Just in case it wasn’t obvious already, shoulder injuries are a drag.
Santana, 33, is owed $25.5 million this season while his $25 million club option for 2014 includes a $5.5 million buyout. As Alderson confirmed during the conference call, his contract is not insured.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 1
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 9
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 139
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (139)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)