Mar 28, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT
According to Jason Beck of MLB.com, Valverde’s agent, Scott Boras, said today that his client has thrown bullpen sessions for scouts from multiple teams in recent days in his native Dominican Republic and has more planned. Boras declined to say which teams have taken a look at Valverde thus far, but he expects a deal to come together fairly soon once the upcoming workouts are complete.
“Our plan was to wait and see what closer options availed themselves at this time,” Boras said.
After finishing fifth in the AL Cy Young Award balloting in 2011, Valverde averaged a career-low 6.3 K/9 last season and lost his grip on the closer role during the Tigers’ World Series run. The 35-year-old right-hander is open to a one-year deal, but a reunion with Detroit is considered “highly unlikely.”
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)