Mar 28, 2013, 1:48 PM EST
Forsythe has previously played through the foot injury, but he’ll be shut down completely and wear a walking boot for three weeks.
San Diego’s infield is in such rough shape that the Opening Day third baseman may be Cody Ransom, a 37-year-old journeyman who got more than 100 plate appearances in a big-league season for the first time last year. Prospect Jedd Gyorko is another option, but he may be needed at second base.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 13
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 24
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 44
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 46
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)