Logan Forsythe out at least six weeks with plantar fasciitis

Mar 28, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT

forsythe getty Getty Images

Logan Forsythe was set to fill in for the injured Chase Headley at third base, but the Padres announced that he’ll miss at least six weeks with plantar fasciitis.

Forsythe has previously played through the foot injury, but he’ll be shut down completely and wear a walking boot for three weeks.

San Diego’s infield is in such rough shape that the Opening Day third baseman may be Cody Ransom, a 37-year-old journeyman who got more than 100 plate appearances in a big-league season for the first time last year. Prospect Jedd Gyorko is another option, but he may be needed at second base.

1. El Bravo - Mar 28, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Plantar fasciitis sucks! I find it amazing that even with the elite medical professinals involved in sports, that even these top-level athetes have no easy way to recover from this other than basically resting and waiting. Meanwhile, we’re knocking out AIDS and potentially finding a super cure for nearly every cancer according to an article I read yesterday.

• El Bravo - Mar 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM

By “we’re” I mean myself. I singlehandedly am curing AIDS and cancer. You’re welcome.

• buggieowens - Mar 28, 2013 at 3:45 PM

And you do that with one eye closed, one hand behind your back, while standing on one leg. Next week, you’ll solve global warming, male baldness, and getting hot dog buns and hot dogs to come packaged in the same number. Thank El Bravo!

• ptfu - Mar 28, 2013 at 5:53 PM

2. stex52 - Mar 28, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I commented on this yesterday. With personal experience of plantar fascitis, I sadly find this the more likely case than two weeks. My foot doctor, who did sports medicine, tried a variety of treatments. Then we did icing, rest, and comfortable tennis shoes for eight weeks. That finally worked.

I know that sports teams probably have more sophisiticated tools with cortisone and all, but in the end icing and rest seems to be the best prescriptive.

Good luck to him.

And if they want to start Gyorko at 3rd for ten games, it sure would help my fantasy team.

3. icanspeel - Mar 28, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I figure Gyorko will play 3B and Amarista will play 2B. It’s funny because the Padres had lots of 3B depth, but then Headley, Darnell and Forsythe went down.. all potential 3B candidates.

• ptfu - Mar 28, 2013 at 6:00 PM

At this point, do the Padres have more depth at 2B or 3B? Wonder if they’ll bring up Edinson Rincon or sign a Veteran Presence…

4. ch0psuey - Mar 28, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Such fun words to say for such a cruddy injury

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3638)