Mar 28, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Presumably once Freese returns from his back injury they’ll go back to the original plan of Carpenter taking most of the starts at second base. Carpenter hit his way into the lineup, batting .294 with an .828 OPS in 114 games last season, but it’s his ability to play wherever he’s needed defensively that could save the Cardinals early considering their many banged up position players.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12