More Giants merchandise has been sold than any other team’s this offseason, Buster Posey the top-selling jersey

Mar 28, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT

buster posey ap AP

The website Fanatics.com keeps track of sports merch sales, and they just released the tally for this now, mercifully-concluding offseason:

Since the offseason began (October 30, 2012-TODAY), the reigning World Series champions San Francisco Giants have also won the off-season merchandise title. The Giants are currently the number one selling team since the off-season began, beating out the Yankees and Cardinals for the top spot. Buster Posey also ranks as the top-selling MLB player during that time as well.

The tally: 1) Giants; 2) Yankees; 3) Cardinals; 4) Red Sox; 5) Tigers.  As far as individual jerseys go, Posey is on top followed by Derek Jeter, Miguel Cabrera, Bryce Harper and Mike Trout. If you measure only since the beginning of March, Josh Hamilton slips in at number three, Chase Utley at number four, Cabrera is pushed down to five and Harper and Trout fall off the list.

So take that, basement-dwellers. Cabrera beats Trout. Again.

1. El Bravo - Mar 28, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I was sure it would have been the Astros and Lil’ Altuve.

• professormaddog31 - Mar 28, 2013 at 3:33 PM

If they brought back the old rainbow vomit jerseys of the late 80′s and sold them as throwbacks, I’d be happy to buy an Astros jersey! (Biggio, though, please.)

2. cur68 - Mar 28, 2013 at 12:35 PM

West Coast Bias. Obviously.

3. APBA Guy - Mar 28, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Most of it seems to have been sold to people who work in my building:)

A’s and Giants tonight in the Bay Area. The pre-season Bay Bridge series is finally here to remind us that the real thing is only a few days away.

• Old Gator - Mar 28, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I dunno. Last time I was in The City it looked like somebody in everyone’s building had a jersey, T-shirt or cap.

Meanwhile, here in Macondo, many of the homeless in and around Overtown and Little Havana are wearing Jose Reyes jerseys. I like the way the Feesh front orifice goes so quietly about its philanthropic activities.

4. stex52 - Mar 28, 2013 at 12:45 PM

And right there, ladies and gentlemen, is why GM’s pay insane amounts of money to all these players. Win the WS and the 12th largest city in the country sells the most merchandise. The playoffs in general and the WS in particular are so lucrative that one trip pays for several dumb signings.

No criticism to the Giants. They earned it (both times). But this is part of the bigger story.

5. tablescrappy - Mar 28, 2013 at 1:16 PM

“Our third baseman is a panda!” Everyone wears panda hats. “Our first baseman’s a giraffe!” “Our starting pitcher’s a horse!” “Our left fielder’s a milkman!” The panda thing was cool, but there’s also too much of a good thing. I guess there is that old saying about a fool and his money.

6. Darkoestrada - Mar 28, 2013 at 1:41 PM

No love for pitchers I see

• fat4jc - Mar 28, 2013 at 2:03 PM

chicks dig the long ball, or old ball(s) is Jeter’s case.

• professormaddog31 - Mar 28, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Obviously my purchases don’t count for much, as 97% of my baseball related clothing/memorabilia is of pitchers. Then again I bought a bunch of Chipper Jones farewell stuff last year, too, so…

7. Tick - Mar 28, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Not surprising. World Series winners always suffer the bandwagon effect and, no offense but, there is no fanbase that suffers the bandwagon effect worse than the Giants.

8. sometimesimisscandlestick - Mar 28, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I’d like to think that part of it is that besides being a hell of a player, Buster is a genuinely nice guy.

• stex52 - Mar 28, 2013 at 3:42 PM

So would I, but I generally give people the benefit of the doubt. I have no idea.

9. loungefly74 - Mar 28, 2013 at 4:21 PM

stats must be true…i contributed by buying a Giants lanyard recently.

10. ghostfishhunter - Mar 29, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Strange being on this side of the rush of bandwagon fans…its been so many decades of deriding their superficial gravitation towards the far-off flavor of the year, that their sudden headlong charge in the Bay Areas direction has me all in a tizzy. Enjoy their existence while it lasts, or go all sullen hipster and shun them for their lack of substance and credibility?

Three legends off to Cooperstown