Mar 29, 2013, 2:35 PM EST
Via Nathaniel Rakich, here’s a report from the Sunlight Foundation chronicling political donations by Major League Baseball teams, as well as the league itself, in 2012. Shockingly, rich business owners who aren’t big fans of regulation and change spend the bulk of their dough on conservative causes: indeed, 75% of all political donations from teams, team executives and owners went right rather than left.
The league itself — via Major League Baseball’s political action committee — splits the half million dollars or so it spends on legislative races almost 50/50, Democrat/Republican.
Players don’t donate all that much, but when they do, they tend to go with the GOP as well:
Current players that donated to conservative candidates include White Sox infielder Gordon Beckham, Yankees designated hitter Travis Hafner, Royals pitcher Jeremy Guthrie and San Diego Padres pitcher Huston Street. Tony Gwynn, Jr. of the Dodgers, and son of Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn, was the only player we found donating to liberal causes. But a few baseball legends serving as special assistants to their clubs also gave to Democrats, including Hank Aaron and Lou Brock …
Again, given the demographics of ballplayers, it’s not terribly shocking here.
Interesting stuff. Give it a read.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 30
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 28
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)