Mar 29, 2013, 5:47 PM EDT
As expected the Cardinals have placed closer Jason Motte on the disabled list with a strained right elbow.
Motte complained of soreness after last Thursday’s game and there’s no timetable for his return, with the Cardinals set to use Mitchell Boggs as their fill-in closer.
Motte was fantastic last season, saving a league-leading 42 games with a 2.75 ERA in his first full season as a closer. Boggs can’t match Motte’s strikeout ability, but has been a very effective setup man for the past three seasons with a 3.08 ERA in 201 innings during that span.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 6
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 20
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 56
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 69
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 93
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (94)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)