Mar 29, 2013, 5:47 PM EST
As expected the Cardinals have placed closer Jason Motte on the disabled list with a strained right elbow.
Motte complained of soreness after last Thursday’s game and there’s no timetable for his return, with the Cardinals set to use Mitchell Boggs as their fill-in closer.
Motte was fantastic last season, saving a league-leading 42 games with a 2.75 ERA in his first full season as a closer. Boggs can’t match Motte’s strikeout ability, but has been a very effective setup man for the past three seasons with a 3.08 ERA in 201 innings during that span.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)