Mar 29, 2013, 5:47 PM EST
As expected the Cardinals have placed closer Jason Motte on the disabled list with a strained right elbow.
Motte complained of soreness after last Thursday’s game and there’s no timetable for his return, with the Cardinals set to use Mitchell Boggs as their fill-in closer.
Motte was fantastic last season, saving a league-leading 42 games with a 2.75 ERA in his first full season as a closer. Boggs can’t match Motte’s strikeout ability, but has been a very effective setup man for the past three seasons with a 3.08 ERA in 201 innings during that span.
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 5
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 19
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (105)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)