Mar 29, 2013, 8:45 PM EST
Johnson made the decision – “a tough call,” he said – for two reasons. He had already decided to alternate Ramos and Suzuki every other game, and so on that schedule Suzuki will catch No. 2 starter Gio Gonzalez, his former Oakland A’s battery mate. Johnson also wanted to reward Ramos for the grueling rehab he put into healing the knee injury that ended his season in May of last season – “kind of a carrot for hard work,” Johnson said.
The Nats will be happy if Ramos turns out to be as good a baseball player as Bugs Bunny.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (361)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)